Taiwan’s Tai Tzu-ying on Friday advanced to the semi-finals after she saw off He Bingjiao of China at the BWF All England Badminton Tournament in Birmingham.
Tai, the world No. 3 who is seeking her fourth All England Open title, showed more good form, winning 21-12, 21-11 in just 33 minutes.
She entered the match with an 11-4 head-to-head advantage over her Chinese opponent.
Tai’s dominance emerged halfway through the first game as she pulled away from being tied 11-11 to win while only conceding one further point.
He looked to attack, but Tai’s defensive skills were up to the challenge.
In game 2, the Taiwanese denied He momentum as the Chinese never scored more than two consecutive points.
Tai’s win meant that the top four seeds entered the semi-finals at the Utilita Arena, which were to be completed after press time last night.
Defending champion and world No. 1 Akane Yamaguchi beat China’s Zhiyi Wang 21-19, 21-12 to reach the last four, with No. 4 Chen Yufei of China awaiting Yamaguchi after she saw off Gregoria Mariska 24-22, 23-21.
World No. 2 South Korean An Se-young had a walkover into the last four after illness forced Spain’s Carolina Marin to withdraw.
In the men’s singles, Malaysia’s Lee Zii Jia might believe he is still struggling for form, but the world No. 4 was the highest-ranked men’s player still alive at the semi-final stage.
Lee edged a deciding game against Japan’s Kodai Naraoka to progress 21-9, 10-21, 21-13.
“I’m maybe 70 percent of my best at the moment,” Lee said. “I’m still trying to find the best version of me.”
He was to play China’s Shi Yuqi after the 2018 All England winner comfortably saw off compatriot Weng Hongyang 21-9, 21-16.
Anders Antonsen shocked world No. 3 Anthony Ginting 21-14, 9-21, 21-17.
The Dane was to play Li Shifeng, who saw off Ng Tze Yong 21-11, 21-11.
Taiwan’s double world champion Lin Yu-ting lost her bronze medal at the International Boxing Association (IBA) Women’s World Boxing Championships after she failed to meet eligibility criteria, the governing body of amateur boxing said yesterday. The IBA did not elaborate on Lin’s disqualification. Bulgarian Svetlana Kamenova Staneva, who lost to Lin in the under-57kg quarter-finals, was awarded the bronze medal. Algeria’s Imane Khelif was also disqualified hours before her gold medal bout. The 23-year-old was scheduled to meet Yang Liu in the 66kg division final, but Thailand’s Janjaem Suwannapheng, who lost to Khelif in the semi-finals, would fight the Chinese instead. “A boxer from Algeria
Retired Formula One champion Nelson Piquet has been ordered by a Brazilian court to pay more than US$950,000 in “moral damages” for making racist and homophobic comments about Lewis Hamilton. The 70-year-old Brazilian had referred to seven-time champion Hamilton as “neguinho,” a racially offensive term that means “little black guy,” in 2021. In another interview, Piquet used racist and homophobic language. The court in Brasilia on Friday ordered Piquet to pay 5 million (US$952,998) reals “in collective moral damages, to be allocated to funds for the promotion of racial equality and against discrimination of the LGBTQIA+ community.” The charges were filed by several
Japanese two-way star Shohei Ohtani is to make a one-season MLB record US$65 million this year in salary and endorsements, Forbes magazine reported on Tuesday. Ohtani, set to be the starting pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels in their MLB season opener today against Oakland, helped spark Japan to the World Baseball Classic title a week ago with a victory over the US in the final. The 28-year-old who serves as an outfielder and designated hitter when not on the mound, signed a one-year contract extension worth US$30 million last year and will make US$35 million in endorsements this year, Forbes reported. That
ISRAEL PROTESTS: Disappointed soccer fans said that the loss of the under-20 event would affect young players and lamented the blind mixing of political issues Indonesian fans reacted with anger and dismay yesterday after the nation on Wednesday was stripped of hosting rights for the FIFA Under-20 World Cup only eight weeks before the start of the tournament amid political turmoil regarding Israel’s participation. FIFA said that Indonesia was removed from staging the 24-team tournament scheduled to start on May 20 “due to the current circumstances,” without specifying details. The decision followed a meeting in Doha between Indonesian soccer federation president Erick Thohir and FIFA president Gianni Infantino. Israel qualified in June last year for their first Under-20 World Cup, but the country’s participation in the official draw