There were more people involved in the Newlands ball-tampering scandal than just David Warner, Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft, Warner’s manager said yesterday as the second Test against the West Indies began.
James Erskine told Australian radio that opener Warner had “protected” his teammates on his advice after “sandpaper-gate” erupted in South Africa in March 2018.
Warner was adjudged to have played the leading role in the scandal, and was banned from elite cricket for a year and from leadership positions for life.
Smith was also banned for a year and from leadership positions for three years, while former Test batsman Bancroft was given a one-year ban from leadership positions on top of a nine-month playing suspension.
Erskine told SEN radio there was more to the story.
“The truth will come out,” he said. “There’s lots of people... There’s two cricketers at the time that said: ‘Why don’t we just put our hands up and tell the truth, they can’t fire all of us.’”
“That’s what’s happened,” he said.
“They all got a caning and basically David Warner was completely villainized,” Erskine said, adding that he had told Warner to keep quiet so that everyone could move on from the scandal.
Warner “has shut up, he has protected Cricket Australia, he has protected his fellow players on my advice, because at the end of the day no one wanted to hear any more of it and he’s got on playing cricket,” Erskine said.
Cricket Australia declined to comment.
The fresh allegations about Newlands overshadowed day one of the second Test against the West Indies at the Adelaide Oval, where Smith was captaining the team in regular skipper Pat Cummins’ absence, but fell for a first-innings duck after winning the toss and batting first.
Warner made 21, while Usman Khawaja (62), Marnus Labuschagne (120 not out) and Travis Head (114 not out) were the main contributors as the hosts reached 330-3 at stumps.
Warner sought to have his leadership ban quashed by an independent panel set up by Cricket Australia, but the 36-year-old withdrew his bid on Wednesday, citing concerns he would be subjected to a public trial on Newlands and did not want “further trauma and disruption” for his family and teammates.
Additional reporting by staff writer
Baseball star Shohei Ohtani has stunningly revealed he’s married. Ohtani wrote on Thursday on Instagram in Japanese: “The season is approaching but I would like to announce to everyone that I have gotten married.” He said his new wife was a “Japanese woman” without identifying her. He said he would reveal more in an interview; presumably at the Los Angeles Dodgers spring training venue. The 29-year-old Ohtani is Japan’s biggest celebrity, and there has always been curiosity around his personal life, which he has always kept very private. His focus, and his image, has always been 100%-baseball focused — free of scandals or
Cristiano Ronaldo on Sunday faced a flurry of criticism after appearing to make an obscene gesture following the end of Al-Nassr’s 3-2 win over Al-Shabab in an exciting Saudi Pro League game. The Portugal forward opened the scoring with a 21st-minute penalty, but Al-Nassr needed a late goal from Brazilian Talisca, who struck twice, to settle the game with four minutes left. After the final whistle, social media videos captured Ronaldo cupping his ear before repeatedly pumping his hand forward in front of his pelvic area. The action appeared to be directed at the rival Al-Shabab supporters. In the background, chants of “Messi”
Taiwanese infielder Yu Chang on Sunday homered for the Tampa Bay Rays in their spring training game against the Detroit Tigers in Port Charlotte, Florida. It was Chang’s first homer for the Rays since the team on Tuesday last week announced that they had signed the 28-year-old to a minor league contract. Chang hit the solo home run to right-center field in the bottom of the second to give the Rays a 2-1 lead. However, Tampa Bay fell to 9-3 behind the Tigers by the sixth inning, before Ruben Cardenas and Kameron Misner hit home runs in the seventh. The Rays plated four more
Shohei Ohtani stepped into the bright Arizona sun, carrying the weight of a US$700 million contract and the expectations that go with it, before launching a two-run homer in his first exhibition game for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Not a bad way to endear himself to his new legions of fans — not to mention his new team. “I’m starting to learn really quickly, he’s built differently,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. Ohtani needed just three exhibition at-bats to show how he might affect the Dodgers lineup on Tuesday, working a full count in the fifth inning before an opposite-field shot off Dominic