American John Isner rained down 16 aces in an opening victory at the Erste Bank Open in Vienna on Tuesday as the third seed kept up a long-odds bid for an ATP year-end finals spot.
One of the tallest men in tennis defeated an opponent he called “a left-handed version of me,” advancing to the second round over Frenchman Kenny de Schepper 7-6 (7/4), 7-6 (7/5).
Isner did not face a break point in the victory lasting almost 1 hour, 45 minutes at the Stadthalle in Vienna.
Photo: EPA
Isner had a match point in the penultimate game, which he missed, before serving out the victory 7/5 in a tight deciding tie-breaker.
He next faces Ernests Gulbis after the patchy Latvian ended an ATP-level five-match losing streak, stretching back to August last year, with his opening victory on Monday.
“I am very happy with this performance,” said Isner, who stands a provisional 12th among five other rivals battling for the last two places in the eight-man field for next month’s World Tour Finals in London.
Photo: EPA
“My goal is to try and make London, but [Vienna top seed David] Ferrer is so many points ahead [in provisional eighth]. It is not a problem if I do not make it — at least I will have tried my best. I will just go into the off-season, rest and prepare for 2016,” he added.
Isner said that advancing past 123rd-ranked De Schepper was not easy.
“It came down to a few points, which I was able to win. I like the conditions here. The court and the balls are fantastic,” said Isner, who lost in the 2009 first round on his only other appearance in Vienna.
Sixth seed Gael Monfils said that he would feel the post-match pain in his body after working hard to defeat Brazil’s Thomas Bellucci 6-7 (5/7), 6-3, 6-4.
The Frenchman was playing his first match since retiring in the US Open first round on Aug. 31 with a lower back injury.
It took Monfils 2 hours, 30 minutes to prevail after losing a break in the opening set and being stretched all the way in a three-setter.
“I am happy to come back with a win. It has been a long time since I was on a court,” Monfils said. “I was not able to do anything for six weeks.”
“I have had just five or six days of practice, so I am sure I will be quite sore tomorrow. I knew coming into the match that I had to play well. I do not think it went too badly. I lost a bit of rhythm in the first set and that turned it into a long match. We will see how I pull up for the next match,” he added.
Ferrer overcame a slow start to defeat fellow Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the first round.
Wolrd No. 8 Ferrer produced an unusual string of mistakes and scored just two points on Ramos-Vinolas’ serve in the first set.
Ferrer, who won all four previous matches against his 58th-ranked countryman, turned around the match after saving four break points at 3-2 down in the second set and winning five straight games. He broke Ramos-Vinolas again at 5-4 in the final set.
Ferrer next plays Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain, who beat Santiago Giraldo of Colombia 6-4, 6-3.
Another seeded player, Dominic Thiem, lost in the opening round. Jerzy Janowicz of Poland came back from a disappointing first set to defeat the fifth-seeded Austrian 2-6, 7-6 (7/5), 6-4.
Unseeded Italian Paolo Lorenzi of Italy spent 2 hours, 15 minutes getting past Rajeev Ram 6-7 (4/7), 6-1, 6-4, firing 16 aces along the way. Sergiy Stakhovsky of the Ukraine beat Germany’s Jan-Lennard Struff 6-4, 6-4.
American Steve Johnson beat Alexandr Dolgopolov of the Ukraine 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.
Shohei Ohtani and Clayton Kershaw on Friday joined their Los Angeles Dodgers teammates in sticking their fists out to show off their glittering World Series rings at a ceremony. “There’s just a lot of excitement, probably more than I can ever recall with the Dodger fan base and our players,” manager Dave Roberts said before Los Angeles rallied to beat the Detroit Tigers 8-5 in 10 innings. “What a way to cap off the first two days of celebrations,” Roberts said afterward. “By far the best opening week I’ve ever experienced. I just couldn’t have scripted it any better.” A choir in the
After fleeing Sudan when civil war erupted, Al-Hilal captain Mohamed Abdelrahman and his teammates have defied the odds to reach the CAF Champions League quarter-finals. They are today to face title-holders Al-Ahly of Egypt in Cairo, with the return match in the Mauritanian capital, Nouakchott, on Tuesday next week. Al-Hilal and biggest domestic rivals Al-Merrikh relocated to Mauritania after a power struggle broke out in April 2023 between the Sudanese army and a paramilitary force. The civil war has claimed tens of thousands of lives and displaced more than 12 million people, according to the UN. The Democratic Republic of the Congo-born Al-Hilal
The famously raucous Hong Kong Sevens are to start today in a big test for a shiny new stadium at the heart of a major US$3.85 billion sports park in the territory. Officials are keeping their fingers crossed that the premier event in Hong Kong’s sporting and social calendar goes off without a hitch at the 50,000-seat Kai Tak Stadium. They hope to entice major European soccer teams to visit in the next few months, with reports in December last year saying that Liverpool were in talks about a pre-season tour. Coldplay are to perform there next month, all part of Hong Kong’s
Shohei Ohtani, Teoscar Hernandez and Tommy Edman on Thursday smashed home runs to give the reigning World Series champions the Los Angeles Dodgers a 5-4 victory over Detroit on the MLB’s opening day in the US. The Dodgers, who won two season-opening games in Tokyo last week, raised their championship banner on a day when 28 clubs launched the season in the US. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts shuffled his batting lineup with all four leadoff hitters finally healthy as Ohtani was followed by Mookie Betts, then Hernandez and Freddie Freeman in the cleanup spot, switching places with Hernandez. “There’s a Teoscar tax to