The Cleveland Browns’ quarterback Johnny Manziel has sought help to change his off-field lifestyle.
Following a rough rookie season in the NFL, Manziel has entered a treatment program for unspecified reasons, one of his advisers said in a statement released by the team on Monday.
“Johnny knows there are areas he needs to improve on to help him be a better family member, friend and teammate, so he decided to take this step in his life during the off-season,” Manziel’s adviser Brad Beckworth said.
Beckworth said the former Heisman Trophy winner entered the unnamed facility last week, adding that Manziel’s family is asking for privacy until he rejoins the team.
Beckworth’s statement did not indicate reasons for Manziel needing treatment. However, the 22-year-old’s penchant for partying followed him from college into the pros and Manziel’s nightlife has been well-chronicled by both social and mainstream media.
The location of the facility where Manziel is staying is not immediately known.
The Browns’ general manager Ray Farmer said in a statement that the team fully supports Manziel and respects his initiative in entering treatment. The team will respect Manziel’s privacy during treatment, he said.
“Our players’ health and well-being will always be of the utmost importance to the Cleveland Browns,” Farmer said. “We continually strive to create a supportive environment and provide the appropriate resources, with our foremost focus being on the individual and not just the football player.”
Citing privacy laws, a team spokesman declined to provide any further information about Manziel’s situation.
The Browns’ wide receiver Andrew Hawkins offered his support to Manziel on Twitter.
“Much love and support to my brother Johnny,” Hawkins wrote. “Proud of him, big step. Football is secondary. God Bless!”
Manziel, who won the Heisman as a freshman at Texas A&M University, where his playmaking skills earned him his “Johnny Football” nickname, has faced questions for several years about his active nightlife.
After he was drafted in May last year by the Browns in the first round, Manziel was repeatedly photographed drinking alcohol during weekend trips to Las Vegas. A photograph of Manziel floating on an inflatable swan raft swigging a bottle of champagne went viral.
Manziel spent the majority of last season as starter Brian Hoyer’s backup before coach Mike Pettine switched their roles with the team still in the playoff hunt.
Manziel made his first start on Dec. 14 last year against Cincinnati, but failed miserably. He appeared unprepared and overmatched as the Bengals defense harassed him into two interceptions and the Browns were throttled 30-0. Manziel completed 10 of 18 passes for 80 yards, was sacked twice and looked nothing like a player capable of ending Cleveland’s long search to find a franchise quarterback.
The next week at Carolina, Manziel injured his hamstring on a running play before half-time and was replaced by Hoyer.
Manziel was then fined by the Browns for missing a medical treatment before the season finale at Baltimore. Manziel promised he would change following the season, apologizing to Cleveland’s fans and his teammates for being a distraction.
However, hours after apologizing, he was photographed in Miami Beach and over the next few days there were photos of him on Instagram in a Houston nightclub and in Aspen, Colorado.
The Browns have made it clear to Manziel that they expect more from him if he wants to be their leader.
“Johnny has to show on and off the field he can be a professional,” owner Jimmy Haslam said on Jan. 22. “He knows that. Everybody in the organization has told him that. He knows what we expect of him on and off the field and it’s up to him to prove he can do that.”
Manziel’s uncertain future could influence the Browns’ plans at quarterback. Hoyer is scheduled to become a free agent, but the Cleveland native might be willing to re-sign with Cleveland, especially if Manziel is not in the picture.
The Browns also have two first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 19) in this year’s draft and might be willing to use them to land a quarterback.
Shohei Ohtani and Clayton Kershaw on Friday joined their Los Angeles Dodgers teammates in sticking their fists out to show off their glittering World Series rings at a ceremony. “There’s just a lot of excitement, probably more than I can ever recall with the Dodger fan base and our players,” manager Dave Roberts said before Los Angeles rallied to beat the Detroit Tigers 8-5 in 10 innings. “What a way to cap off the first two days of celebrations,” Roberts said afterward. “By far the best opening week I’ve ever experienced. I just couldn’t have scripted it any better.” A choir in the
The famously raucous Hong Kong Sevens are to start today in a big test for a shiny new stadium at the heart of a major US$3.85 billion sports park in the territory. Officials are keeping their fingers crossed that the premier event in Hong Kong’s sporting and social calendar goes off without a hitch at the 50,000-seat Kai Tak Stadium. They hope to entice major European soccer teams to visit in the next few months, with reports in December last year saying that Liverpool were in talks about a pre-season tour. Coldplay are to perform there next month, all part of Hong Kong’s
After fleeing Sudan when civil war erupted, Al-Hilal captain Mohamed Abdelrahman and his teammates have defied the odds to reach the CAF Champions League quarter-finals. They are today to face title-holders Al-Ahly of Egypt in Cairo, with the return match in the Mauritanian capital, Nouakchott, on Tuesday next week. Al-Hilal and biggest domestic rivals Al-Merrikh relocated to Mauritania after a power struggle broke out in April 2023 between the Sudanese army and a paramilitary force. The civil war has claimed tens of thousands of lives and displaced more than 12 million people, according to the UN. The Democratic Republic of the Congo-born Al-Hilal
Shohei Ohtani, Teoscar Hernandez and Tommy Edman on Thursday smashed home runs to give the reigning World Series champions the Los Angeles Dodgers a 5-4 victory over Detroit on the MLB’s opening day in the US. The Dodgers, who won two season-opening games in Tokyo last week, raised their championship banner on a day when 28 clubs launched the season in the US. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts shuffled his batting lineup with all four leadoff hitters finally healthy as Ohtani was followed by Mookie Betts, then Hernandez and Freddie Freeman in the cleanup spot, switching places with Hernandez. “There’s a Teoscar tax to