Former world No. 1 and seven-time Grand Slam winner Justine Henin says she is not ruling out another major title despite seeing her comeback season cut short by an elbow injury.
The Belgian, who will train in southern China this month before heading to Australia to open next year’s season with the mixed-teams Hopman Cup in January, also has her sights set on the 2012 London Olympics.
“Step by step I am heading in the right direction now, but only winning matches can give me that confidence,” Henin told the China Daily, as she passed through Beijing en route to tropical Hainan island.
“I’ve been working very hard. If my elbow continues to improve in the next few weeks or months, I think I have good prospects for the future,” she said.
When asked about the possibility of winning another Grand Slam crown, the 28-year-old said: “If I am physically fine, I hope I can win another Grand Slam.”
She admitted that winning Wimbledon, the only Slam that has thus far eluded her and where she has twice been a finalist, would be “fantastic.”
Henin’s comeback this season ended in June when she damaged a ligament in her right elbow at the All-England Club in a fall during her fourth-round loss to Belgian rival Kim Clijsters.
The four-time French Open champion returned to action earlier this month in an exhibition match against Clijsters, who took the match. Henin will pair with Steve Darcis for the Hopman Cup in Perth, where they are fourth seeds.
Henin admitted the rigors of life on the WTA Tour had taken their toll and coming back early this year after 18 months in retirement had not been easy.
“I had a pretty good start ... but after playing tennis for 14 years it was physically very hard for me to come back. I am just slowly coming back to the top. I was never 100 percent fit this year,” she said.
Looking ahead, Henin — who won gold at the 2004 Athens Olympics — said she hopes to compete for another Olympic medal in London.
“My goal is to play in London,” she said. “Winning the gold in Athens was one of the best moments of my career. It’s special playing in the Olympics. You are playing for your nation and you don’t feel alone on court.”
Taiwan’s double world champion Lin Yu-ting lost her bronze medal at the International Boxing Association (IBA) Women’s World Boxing Championships after she failed to meet eligibility criteria, the governing body of amateur boxing said yesterday. The IBA did not elaborate on Lin’s disqualification. Bulgarian Svetlana Kamenova Staneva, who lost to Lin in the under-57kg quarter-finals, was awarded the bronze medal. Algeria’s Imane Khelif was also disqualified hours before her gold medal bout. The 23-year-old was scheduled to meet Yang Liu in the 66kg division final, but Thailand’s Janjaem Suwannapheng, who lost to Khelif in the semi-finals, would fight the Chinese instead. “A boxer from Algeria
Retired Formula One champion Nelson Piquet has been ordered by a Brazilian court to pay more than US$950,000 in “moral damages” for making racist and homophobic comments about Lewis Hamilton. The 70-year-old Brazilian had referred to seven-time champion Hamilton as “neguinho,” a racially offensive term that means “little black guy,” in 2021. In another interview, Piquet used racist and homophobic language. The court in Brasilia on Friday ordered Piquet to pay 5 million (US$952,998) reals “in collective moral damages, to be allocated to funds for the promotion of racial equality and against discrimination of the LGBTQIA+ community.” The charges were filed by several
Japanese two-way star Shohei Ohtani is to make a one-season MLB record US$65 million this year in salary and endorsements, Forbes magazine reported on Tuesday. Ohtani, set to be the starting pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels in their MLB season opener today against Oakland, helped spark Japan to the World Baseball Classic title a week ago with a victory over the US in the final. The 28-year-old who serves as an outfielder and designated hitter when not on the mound, signed a one-year contract extension worth US$30 million last year and will make US$35 million in endorsements this year, Forbes reported. That
Uncertainty over the timing and location of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup continues two days after Indonesian authorities postponed the official draw for the May 20 to June 11 tournament because of protests over Israel’s participation. The draw, scheduled to be held in Bali on Friday, was delayed indefinitely by the Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) amid backlash from conservative Islamic groups. Doubt had already been cast on the draw ceremony when Bali Governor Wayan Koster called for a ban on Israel playing there because of Indonesia’s diplomatic support for the Palestinian cause. FIFA has not commented on Indonesia’s status as host or