Italy coach Roberto Donadoni is counting on history repeating itself as his embattled squad fight for Euro 2008 survival against Romania today.
The Italians have a good record of recovering from sluggish starts and ensuring they reach a peak toward the business end of major tournaments.
Never before have they had to bounce back for a setback quite as traumatic as Monday night’s 3-0 demolition by the Netherlands. But Donadoni was quick to remind his critics that, as a player, he was part of a squad who suffered a shock defeat by Ireland in their opening match at the 1994 World Cup before ultimately only losing the final on penalties.
“We got out of that situation in America in the only way you can — by working hard, having the desire to hit back and understanding the mistakes that you’ve made,” the former AC Milan midfielder said. “We must do that again.”
Despite his defiant insistence that the defeat by the Dutch was just one of those nights when everything that could go wrong did, Donadoni is expected to take his scalpel to the Italian line-up, with almost half the side that started on Monday facing relegation to the bench.
Although left-sided forward Antonio di Natale was Italy’s brightest performer in the first hour of Monday’s match, their cutting edge was far sharper once he had been replaced by Alessandro del Piero and the other two substitutes, Antonio Cassano and Fabio Grosso, also made a strong case for promotion.
But for the heroics of Edwin van der Sar, the Italians may well have turned the contest into a real fight in the final quarter-of-an-hour and del Piero, in particular, made a compelling case for a recall to the starting 11.
That could mean a tactical reshuffle as the Juventus forward is happier playing off main striker Luca Toni, which would mean Italy reverting to the traditional 4-4-2 line-up that Donadoni has generally eschewed, or even a system in which Cassano and Toni play ahead of del Piero.
Marco Materazzi’s hesitant display in the slot normally filled by injured captain Fabio Cannavaro means changes in defense are certain, with Juventus center-back Giorgio Chiellini expected to come in and Grosso tipped to start at left-back.
Gianluigi Zambrotta, one of the untouchables in Donadoni’s side, would then switch flanks with Christian Panucci dropping out.
Despite the pasting they have taken from the press and the sense that, back home, the tomatoes are already being left out to rot in preparation for the squad coming back early, the mood in the Italian camp has remained upbeat.
“We want to wipe out the bad start we’ve made,” Zambrotta said. “Everyone is totally focused on getting the win we need.”
Romania have been widely written off as no-hopers in Group C, but the reality is that, during their qualifying campaign, Victor Piturca’s squad took four points out of a possible six over the same Dutch side that took the Italians apart.
“If Italy lost to the Netherlands — it shows they can be beaten,” argued Daniel Niculae, the Auxerre striker who partnered Adrian Mutu in attack for the Romanians in their goalless draw with France.
Neither striker got a sniff of a chance in what was a turgid encounter, but the Romanians, who were counter-attacking their way to success long before it became the vogue in European soccer, are expecting to create more openings against an Italian side obliged to push forward in search of three points.
“They are the ones with all the pressure,” said Cosmin Contra, a right-back who plies his trade for Getafe in Spain’s La Liga. “If they don’t beat us they could be going home. But we also know that, if we don’t lose, we’ve got a great chance of going through.”
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last