Indianapolis Colts star receiver Marvin Harrison was interviewed by police about a shooting near his North Philadelphia car wash this week.
Lieutenant Frank Vanore said the investigation of Tuesday’s shooting was continuing. The NFL star has not been arrested or charged.
“He was interviewed,” Vanore said on Friday. “Why he was interviewed, that is all part of the investigation. No one is a suspect.”
Vanore told WCAU-TV the shooting occurred near 25th and Thompson streets, near a car wash owned by Harrison and not far from a bar also owned by the All-Pro receiver.
Earlier, radio station WIP, citing unidentified sources, reported the alleged shooting victim argued with Harrison at Playmakers bar.
The victim left and headed to his car, Harrison followed and gunfire broke out, the station reported. The alleged victim was shot in the hand and did not identify the shooter, according to the radio station.
Varone also said a child was hit in the eyes by broken glass, but was treated and released from a hospital.
Harrison has owned Playmakers since July 2004, according to state records.
Harrison’s agent, Tom Condon, denied the player was involved in the shooting.
“I’ve spoken with Marvin and I’ve spoken with his attorney, and they say the reports are erroneous,” Condon told ESPN. “Marvin was not involved in any shooting, and he is not the subject of this investigation.”
After the first day of their rookie minicamp, Colts coach Tony Dungy said he knew little more than had been reported.
“My phone has been ringing, too, but I don’t have any details,” Dungy said. “I really don’t have any more information than you do.”
Colts team president Bill Polian said in a statement the team would withhold comment until it got more information.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is aware of the report and is looking into it.
A source told WIP that ballistic tests showed the shots were fired from a custom-made Belgian weapon, and police determined Harrison owns that kind of gun.
Police questioned Harrison about the gun, the station said. He acknowledged owning such a weapon, but told officials it never left his suburban Philadelphia home, the radio station reported.
The source told the station a gun was discovered in a bucket at the car wash, and tests showed it had fired bullets that matched those at the scene.
Harrison has played his entire 12-season career with the Colts and is the franchise’s record-holder in every major receiving category. The 35-year-old is one of only four players in league history to top 1,000 receptions.
A sudden shortage of locks in Australian rugby union has opened the door for Matt Philip to reclaim his Wallabies jersey, but the Melbourne Rebels player says that the uncertainties wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic have left him with a difficult choice. The Australian yesterday named Philip among 16 Rebels players either set to leave the Super Rugby club or seriously considering it, underscoring the challenge Rugby Australia faces to retain talent. Linked with a move to Section Paloise Bearn Pyrenees, commonly referred to as Pau, in France’s Top 14, Philip said that he had yet to settle his playing future, and
The Rakuten Monkeys remained atop the CPBL table, despite a 5-7 loss to the Uni-President Lions in Taoyuan yesterday, while the CTBC Brothers fell to the Fubon Guardians at the Taichung Intercontinental Stadium. The visiting Guardians blasted three home runs in their 7-3 triumph, helping Dominican pitcher Henry Sosa pocket his second win of the season. Improving his record to 2-2, Sosa sailed through seven innings, allowing six hits while striking out five. He gave up one earned run in the opening frame, with two Brothers relievers mopping up the final two innings. Fubon’s marquee stars, designated hitter Hu Chin-lung and first baseman
When Chinese Super League club Tianjin Tianhai surprisingly thrashed Rafael Benitez’s Dalian Yifang 5-1 to stay in the league in November last year, disgruntled fans were quick to allege corruption — the legacy of a murky past that exploded into scandal 10 years ago. Benitez, who led Liverpool to the 2005 UEFA Champions League title, was perplexed by one of the heaviest defeats of his coaching career, saying: “This is a game that I don’t quite understand.” Despite fan complaints to the Chinese Football Association (CFA), no case was brought and there is no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the haste with which some
Georgian tennis star Nikoloz Basilashvili, ranked 27th in the world, was on Sunday charged with physically assaulting his ex-wife, prosecutors said. A court in Tbilisi charged Basilashvili with perpetrating “violence against a family member committed in the presence of a minor,” before releasing him on US$30,000 bail, prosecutor Natia Guruli said. He faces up to three years in prison if found guilty. Basilashvili’s ex-wife, Neka Dorokashvili, on Sunday told Mtavari TV that Basilashvili “physically assaulted” her on Friday in the presence of their five-year-old son. Basilashvili denied the charges, his lawyer Irma Chkadua said. The 28-year-old won his second ATP Tour title at the China