Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka said yesterday he was "relieved" to hear the Boston Red Sox had won the bidding battle to negotiate with a US$51.1 million offer for him to play in the major leagues.
"To be honest, my first reaction was relief," the 26-year-old right hander told a news conference at the airport just outside Tokyo before boarding a plane for the US. "I was very nervous, so it was a relief.
"I was very surprised when I heard the figure," he said. "It shows that they really appreciate my ability. I know there will be a lot of pressure, but that's something I'm used to and something I enjoy."
Matsuzaka said he looked forward to seeing Boston, but stressed that he hasn't signed a contract so "it's not as though I'm on the team yet."
"The Red Sox are a team that has a long history, great fans and a great atmosphere," he added.
The bid was announced earlier in the day by Hidekazu Ota, acting owner of Matsuzaka's Seibu Lions of Japan's Pacific League.
"I want Daisuke to realize his dreams of playing in the major leagues," Ota said. "I talked to him today, and he is very happy."
The pitcher, who is represented by agent Scott Boras, has 30 days to negotiate a contract with the Red Sox. If Matsuzaka doesn't agree to a contract, the bid will not be paid.
"He is a treasure in Japan and we are very pleased that the best possible evaluation has been made for him," Ota added.
The Yankees, New York Mets, Chicago Cubs and Texas Rangers were thought to be among the unsuccessful bidders.
Matsuzaka, MVP of the World Baseball Classic, was 17-5 with a 2.13 ERA and 200 strikeouts for the Lions this year. He throws in the mid-140s kph, has good off-speed pitches and is known for his deceptive "gyroball."
He has long been considered one of the brightest prospects in Japanese professional baseball.
In his eight-year career in Japan, Matsuzaka has led the Pacific League in wins three times and in strikeouts four times while winning the ERA title twice and the Sawamura Award, Japan's version of the Cy Young pitching award, once.
Matsuzaka impressed major league scouts when he helped Japan win the inaugural World Baseball Classic title last March.
Matsuzaka has a 108-60 career record with a 2.95 ERA and 1,355 strikeouts in 204 games and 1,402-2/3 innings.
The sight of Japanese fans at a World Cup bagging trash after a match — win or lose — always surprises non-Japanese. Japanese players are famous for doing the same in their team dressing room: hanging up towels, cleaning the floor and even leaving a thank-you note. The behavior is driving social media posts at the World Cup in Qatar, but it is nothing unusual for Japanese fans or players. They are simply doing what most people in Japan do — at home, at school, at work or on streets from Tokyo to Osaka, Shizuoka to Sapporo. “For Japanese people, this is
Portugal players idolize Cristiano Ronaldo, with many saying it is a “dream” to play with him, but young forward Goncalo Ramos on Saturday joked that he would not accept a piece of chewing gum from his compatriot. Ronaldo, who scored a penalty in Portugal’s 3-2 win over Ghana on Thursday, was pictured chewing gum he had pulled out of the front of his shorts during the game. The 37-year-old striker, without a club after an acrimonious split from Manchester United this week, became the first player ever to score at five World Cups. “Of course not,” laughed Ramos at a news conference, when
Normally, it would be horrible news to soccer fans anywhere that their team’s star player was injured. Yet even as they endured an anguished wait for a Neymar-less Brazil to score in their 1-0 win over Switzerland on Monday, some Brazilians found it hard to miss the injured superstar, who has promised to dedicate his first FIFA World Cup goal to far-right Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro. Watching the match in a packed bar in central Rio de Janeiro, where fans decked out in yellow and green waited nervously for what turned out to be the lone goal — scored in the 83rd
Qatar’s top World Cup official on Tuesday said that more than 400 migrant workers died in labor accidents in the country in the years leading up to the tournament. Hassan al-Thawadi, secretary general of Qatari Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, gave the figure of 400 to 500 in a British television interview when asked how many workers had died “doing work for the World Cup.” The organizing committee said his response referred to “national statistics covering the period of 2014-2020 for all work-related fatalities” in Qatar “covering all sectors and nationalities.” It said there were 414 worker deaths over the eight-year period. Migrant