Top-seeded Amelie Mauresmo lost in her first grass-court match of the season on Wednesday, Russian qualifier Vera Douchevina winning 6-4, 6-4 in the second round at Eastbourne.
Defending champion Svetlana Kuznetsova also struggled before beating Anna Chakvetadze 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5) in 1 hour, 50 minutes to reach the quarterfinals.
"I played a very, very bad match today," Mauresmo said.
PHOTO: EPA
"I was really hoping to have my first match on grass with much better rhythm than I had today. I really need to find good timing on the surface, which wasn't the case at all today," she said.
The second-seeded Kuznetsova faced elimination when her 18-year-old fellow Russian opponent served for the match at 5-4 in the third set.
"I saw she got nervous," Kuznetsova said. "She wasn't sure she could win, and I have more experience and that was my advantage against her."
PHOTO: AP
Kuznetsova made a wretched start -- double-faulting to drop the second game and then missing a break point at 1-3. Russian qualifier Chakvetadze broke again for 5-1, and she then took the opening set in 23 minutes at the grass-court event.
Chakvetadze struck a double-handed backhand winner to break for 1-0 in the second set, and then held off five break points at 3-2.
Kuznetsova, however, eventually broke on her seventh break point of the match to level at 4-4. Chakvetadze's backhand error giving Kuznetsova a second break and the set.
Kuznetsova then dropped her serve in the first game of the deciding set, before staging a late recovery in a match rain-delayed by more than two hours.
"It was difficult conditions and when you're not used to it, it's very hard," Kuznetsova said. "But it wasn't just the conditions. Everything was working against me -- she's younger than me, she has no pressure and just came to the court to play.
Third-seeded Alicia Molik withdrew, and she will also miss Wimbledon after failing to recover from an ear infection that kept her out of the French Open.
The Australian was replaced in the draw by American Mashona Washington, who beat France's Virginie Razzano 7-6 (4), 6-4.
"After competing last week and in doubles yesterday, I've realized I'm not fully recovered yet," Molik said.
Also, fifth-seeded Vera Zvonareva of Russia lost 6-2, 7-6 (5) against Italian qualifier Roberta Vinci; fourth-seeded Anastasia Myskina beat Venezuela's Maria Vento-Kabchi 6-4, 5-7, 6-0; and eighth-seeded Nathalie Dechy of France rallied versus American Amy Frazier 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Top-seeded Tommy Robredo and second-seeded Guillermo Coria both lost on Wednesday at the Ordina Open, while Nadia Petrova and Dinara Safina advanced to the women's quarterfinals.
Lars Burgsmuller, a 30-year-old German who hadn't won a match in his last eight tournaments, ousted Spain's Robredo 6-2, 7-6 (5).
Robredo never looked at ease in the final grasscourt tuneup before Wimbledon. He was broken twice in the first set, and missed several chances to even the match in the second set tiebreaker.
Jan Hernych of the Czech Republic ousted Coria, who was a finalist in Den Bosch last year. Hernych won 6-3, 6-4.
In other men's action, Philipp Kohlschreiber beat fifth-seeded Robin Soderling 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (9). After a rain delay, defending champion Michael Llodra of France defeated countryman Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.
In the women's event, French Open semifinalist Petrova defeated Argentina's Mariana Diaz-Oliva 6-3, 6-4.
The second-seeded Russian broke Diaz-Oliva's first service game in the first set to take a 3-0 lead. She broke again in the seventh game of the second set.
Petrova, who made it to the fourth round of Wimbledon last year, is the highest remaining seeded player after Elena Dementieva retired in her opening match Tuesday.
Also, Michaella Krajicek upset third-seeded Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-3, 3-6, 6-2. The 16-year-old Krajicek dominated the deciding set, breaking the Spaniard twice and gaining break points in each of Medina Garrigues' other service games.
The fourth-seeded Safina won the last four points of the second-set tiebreaker to beat Maria Kirilenko 6-4, 7-6 (2).
In other matches, Gisela Dulko beat Maria Elena Camerin 6-3, 6-0, Klara Koukalova defeated Claudine Schaul 4-6, 6-4, 6-0; Lucie Safarova beat Virginia Ruano Pascual 6-1, 6-1; and Meghann Shaughnessy beat seventh-seed Anna-Lena Groenefeld, who retired in the third set while trailing 7-6 (9), 3-6, 3-0.
Roger Federer and Andy Roddick were seeded 1-2 for Wimbledon on Wednesday, setting up a possible rematch of last year's final.
Federer, a two-time defending champion, got the top seeding in line with his world No. 1 ranking.
Roddick was seeded two spots above his ATP ranking, ahead of 2002 champion Lleyton Hewitt of Australia and French Open champion Rafael Nadal.
Hewitt was seeded No. 3, with Nadal -- who has little experience on grass -- at No. 4.
Federer beat Roddick 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (3), 6-4 in last year's final. He has four Grand Slam titles. Roddick won the 2003 U.S. Open.
Among the women, Lindsay Davenport was seeded No. 1, followed by defending champion Maria Sharapova, Amelie Mauresmo and former two-time champion Serena Williams.
Last weekend, Federer won the Wimbledon grass-court tuneup at Halle, Germany, for the third straight year. He's won 29 straight matches on grass; his last loss on the surface was in June 2002 against Mario Ancic in the first round at Wimbledon.
Roddick won the Queen's Club title in London for the third consecutive year on Sunday. He said he thought Hewitt would get the No. 2 seeding.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Mathys Tel was hero and villain as Tottenham drew 1-1 at home to Leeds United on Monday — a result that leaves their English Premier League future hanging in the balance. The Frenchman broke the deadlock early in the second half to ease the tension at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but then gave away a penalty with a reckless attempted clearance. In the dying minutes, Spurs were grateful to Antonin Kinsky, who produced an astonishing save to deny the visitors a win. Tottenham are now two points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United with just two games left this season. The
Houston Astros right-hander Teng Kai-wei, the only active Taiwanese pitcher in MLB, on Sunday suffered his third loss of the season, throwing a season-high 63 pitches in his second start of the year. Teng allowed three earned runs over three innings on five hits in the Astros’ 5-0 road loss to the Cincinnati Reds. He struck out one, walked one, and hit one batter among the 15 hitters he faced, raising his earned run average to 3.12. It was the Astros’ second attempt to use the 27-year-old Taiwanese as a starter, after he had established himself as a reliable bullpen
‘DONE IT ALL’: LeBron James is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season as a free agent with uncertainty swirling around his future LeBron James on Monday said he would take time to consider his future after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Oklahoma City Thunder in what could turn out to be the final game of his career. James, 41, delivered a typically defiant performance with 24 points and 12 rebounds, but it was not enough to prevent the Lakers from falling 115-110 as the Thunder completed a 4-0 sweep in the Western Conference semi-finals series. The four-time NBA champion is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season