DPP Taipei city councilors let the city government off easily when, instead of grilling Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) over a report on the Typhoon Nari disaster that sought to whitewash the city government's inadequate and bungled response, they walked out of the chamber.
The long-anticipated report on city disciplinary measures against municipal officials and planned reconstruction projects in the wake of the typhoon was finally made public on Friday.
However, instead of taking the floor to question Ma on the issue, DPP city councilors walked out of the meeting to lodge a protest against what they called a "hasty" and "perfunctory" report. A dramatic action, perhaps, but it also had the effect of letting the city government off the hook.
Chiang Kai-shih (
"How the city government handled the matter was simply perfunctory and that really upset us," Chiang said. "By walking out of the meeting, we distinctly voiced our displeasure."
Before making the move, Chiang made four appeals but all were denied by the council spokeswoman, the KMT's Wu Pi-chu (吳碧珠)
In addition to opposing the mayor taking the floor, copies of Ma's written report were returned. The council was asked to form a task force to conduct another investigation into the the disaster, and the mayor requested to deliver another special report during the next council session.
"Although our requests were denied, we'll make our appeals again on Dec. 3 when the council convenes its next meeting," he said.
Chiang said that Ma simply had been muddling along since the DPP caucus requested him to deliver the special report about two months ago.
They asked him to include causes of the flooding that took place in each district and name who should be held politically, criminally and administratively responsible; and what disciplinary measures should be meted out to those responsible.
"But we were very disappointed to see the report on Tuesday," Chiang said. "We didn't see anything regarding the disciplinary measures we requested. What it said instead was the Control Yuan is investigating the matter.'"
When they planned to hold a press conference the following morning to express discontent, Chiang said another report was received later that day.
Also added to the second report were 20 municipal officials and staff who were found negligent and disciplined.
They include a garbage truck driver with the Bureau of Environmental Protection, two engineers at the Department of Rapid Transit Systems, a driver attached to the Chungshan District Office, and the president of the Taipei Rapid Transit Corp.
"It was the heaviest deluge ever in the city's history, for God's sake. I have no idea what difference it makes to punish a garbage truck driver," Chiang said.
Typhoon Nari, which ravaged the nation from Sept. 16 to 19, killed 94 people, including 27 in Taipei City.
More than 13 percent of the city's area, or 3,770 hectares covering 197 boroughs, experienced serious flooding.
Eight of the 69 pumping stations built to control flooding along the city's many kilometers of dikes succumbed to the deluge and failed.
Underground sections of the MRT system as well as the system's control center which was located in the basement of the Taipei Main Station were also seriously flooded.
Equipment was so seriously damaged that the entire system will not become fully operational until the middle of next month, nor resume automatic operation until March next year. The control center is not scheduled to fully recover until June next year.
DPP city councilor Wang Shih-chien (王世堅) denied speculation that their boycott of the mayor's report was due to insufficient preparation for the interpellation session.
"The boycott was a result of a game well played out," Wang said. "On one hand, we found the ruling of the spokeswoman was unacceptable, but on the other hand, we had to respect her decision."
If he had not walked out of the meeting, Wang said, he would have asked Ma to set a timetable for post-disaster reconstruction projects.
"I'd like to know whether he means it when it comes to the materialization of the proposals made by the reconstruction committee or if it's just another political smokescreen," he said.
After a week's review and discussion, the reconstruction committee made 15 proposals, including suspending the development of hillside areas, establishing city- and district-level disaster response units, integrating the notification system of disaster information, completing the construction of dikes, and full resumption of the MRT service and the system's control center.
Another DPP city councilor, Chou Po-ya (
"Don't think that things end here when the mayor offered his apology," he said.
Ma apologized to the public while delivering the report and said that he was willing to assume political responsibility for the disaster.
"It's a man-made rather than a natural disaster, and it's a serious one," Chou said.
The city first underestimated the volume of rainfall before the typhoon struck. Then it overesti-mated its relief capability during and after the disaster, he said.
"Tell me what's the point of issuing evacuation warnings on TV when most of the families didn't have any electricity," he said. "Tell me how come the fire department's million-dollar emergency notification system failed while thousands of city residents tried to call in for help."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats