After having been rehearsed twice, the largest-ever cross-department chemical-attack drill yesterday was held successfully at a downtown Taipei MRT stop, but the premier wondered if the attack response teams could handle a surprise drill.
The drill took place at the Hsiao Nanmen station near the Presidential Office, the Ministry of National Defense office and other government buildings. The drill simulated a response to a sarin gas attack in an MRT passenger car.
PHOTO: CHIANG YING-YING, TAIPEI TIMES
Premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄), who watched the drill from start to finish, praised it as a success, but did tell authorities involved that there was room for improvement.
Chang said he would like to see a similar drill held without any warning.
"I want to know how well our chemical-attack response teams can respond to conditions that they are not warned of in advance. This is a test that I want relevant agencies and other local governments to conduct in the future," Chang said.
The chemical-attack response teams from the Taipei municipal fire department, the Environmental Protection Administration and the army, together conducted yesterday's drill, had undergone two previous rehearsals for the attack scenario and were also informed of yesterday's drill in advance.
Chang also cast doubt on procedures recommended by the army for the public to follow in the event of a chemical attack.
The procedures are on a small card printed by the army for distribution to the public.
The cards list five steps for what to do in case of a chemical attack: Run out of the contaminated place, remove one's clothing, bathe with clean water, put on clean clothes and seek medical treatment.
Chang suggested that the first step could be inappropriate in that it might cause people to panic and run away from the scene in a dangerous manner.
"It is essential that every citizen be issued one of these cards, but before that's done I hope the authorities concerned can reconsider whether it is appropriate to suggest `run' as the first step to be taken," Chang said.
An article printed on Friday's opinion page in a local newspaper, had also strongly questioned if running is an appropriate first step.
The article, written by a doctor at National Taiwan University Hospital, argues that if people are urged to run immediately out of a contaminated place, the situation could rapidly spin out of control and that many people could be trampled or that they might quickly spread the gas agent to other places.
The doctor suggested a safer approach would be to have chemical-attack personnel at the site in charge of getting the situation under control.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary