Chief of the General Staff General Tang Yao-ming (
"The consequences of the [unauthorized] exposure of the weapons purchase list by the media may be beyond my control. I strongly hope the media will understand that our country is in a very difficult situation," Tang said.
Tang made the remarks yesterday at the Legislative Yuan's Defense Committee meeting in response to inquiries from an opposition lawmaker about the recent publication in a US newspaper of a list of weapons which Taiwan is hoping to buy from the US.
"We know the news was provided to the newspaper [the Washington Times] by a special assistant to a US congressman. We have checked with the report's source and found that he did not intend to leak the information to the press," Tang said.
Tang pointed out another mistake found in the news report, which quoted an anonymous Taiwan general as saying that it was Taiwan which wanted the weapons purchase list to be made public.
"We have interviewed the general referred to and have found that what the news report said was not true," Tang said.
"It is a mutual understanding and agreement between Taiwan and US that neither side should openly discuss arms sales between the two sides. We will not and shall not break the rule."
Tang refused to speak on anything related to the upcoming arms talk between Taiwan and US, despite many attempts by lawmakers on the defense committee to urge him to speak on the issue.
It was Tang's first appearance at the Defense Committee in the new session of the legislature.
Tang delivered a report on how the military is to conduct this year's Hankuang No. 17 joint-forces exercise.
It was also the first time that a chief of the general staff has publicly reported on a major military exercise like the Hankuang series exercises, which have been held annually since 1984.
In his report, Tang highlighted the significance of the exercise as a comprehensive test of the combat readiness of the new-generation armed forces, which have been formed in sequence over the past few years along with the Chingshih personnel streamlining and organizational restructuring project.
The exercise is to be divided into two parts: computer war games and live maneuvers of troops in the field.
The computer war-gaming portion began on Tuesday and will continue for two weeks, while troop maneuvers are to start in late March and will last until the middle of April.
The computer war games will simulate different attacks on Taiwan by China and Taiwan's countermeasures against these scenarios.
They are also to involve cyber warfare between troops posing as opposing blue and red armies.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats