The Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) is making an all-out effort to deal with problems caused by an oil spill that occurred in mid-January.
EPA head Hau Lung-bin (
Hau said that he was far from satisfied with the way in which the ship's agent was currently handling the wreck and that environmental officials needed to be cautious of the potential for further pollution.
There are 200 tonnes of oil and 60,000 tonnes of iron ore remaining on the half-sunk ship.
On Jan. 14, the Greek cargo ship MV Amorgos suffered a mechanical failure during bad weather and ran into submerged reefs near the Lungkeng Ecological Conservation Preservation Area (
About 1,150 tonnes of fuel oil spilled from the wreck.
Hau demanded yesterday that the agency's officials be well-prepared to take over the handling of the wreck, if the agent could not satisfy the government.
On March 1, the EPA began levying a fine of NT$1.5 million per day on the ship's agent.
Officials said the fine would not be lifted until the agent took preventive measures against any further leakage.
To avoid being fined, the ship's agent has hired local workers to remove the oil from the wreck. However, the workers, who risk their lives to perform the task, are only able to remove 600 liters of oil per day.
Due to bad weather, the oil pumping work has been delayed for days.
According to the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC), the ship's agent will present a proposal on how to deal with the wreck by the end of March.
Hau has said that the environmental agency would consider getting involved to expedite the pumping of oil from the ship if necessary.
Meanwhile, deputy EPA administrator Lin Ta-hsiung (
"We will calculate the compensation in terms of environmental losses," Lin said at a press conference yesterday.
Lin added that ecological losses and the cost of ecological restoration would be considered.
Hau said yesterday that he would pick 10 thorny problems to treat as high priority matters and make improvements on them within six months. This echoes a remark he made before assuming the leadership of the agency that he would achieve results within six months.
As for the controversial issue of redoing the environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, Hau reiterated his position yesterday.
"I will consider the EIA issue in accordance with the law," Hau said.
Hau also said yesterday that he was seeking a qualified candidate for the post of political deputy.
As for department heads, Hau said he would not be making any changes in the near future.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary