The Kinmen County Government yesterday canceled the 13th Kinmen-Xiamen Open Relay, citing a lack of clear approval from the Sports Administration.
The county had to apply with the agency to hold the open water race, which was to rule on the matter after asking for a recommendation from the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), council Deputy Minister Liang Wen-chieh (梁文傑) said on Thursday last week.
The MAC would not support the event because the China Coast Guard’s frequent incursions into Taiwan’s waters pose a danger to swimmers, Liang said.
Photo: Wu Cheng-Ting, Taipei Times
The competition was originally scheduled to be held on Saturday next week, a day ahead of the 2025 Open Water Race.
Liang said Kinmen could still hold the 2025 Open Water Race, as it would take place within Taiwanese waters.
Chinese nationals can compete after applying with the MAC, as they would for any sporting event, he said.
Only one Chinese group has received approval to swim in the open water race, a 26-member team from Chaozhou in Guangdong Province, the Kinmen County Government said.
The Kinmen Department of Education said it applied with the Sports Administration on May 28 and June 20 for special entry for 208 Chinese athletes, coaches and staff members to participate in the Kinmen-Xiamen Open Relay.
The agency did not approve or deny the application in a letter sent on Monday, making it impossible for Chinese participants to complete entry procedures and leaving the county unable to hold the event, the department said.
Kinmen Deputy County Commissioner Lee Wen-liang (李文良) called the cancelation unfortunate, as the event, which has been held annually for more than a decade, provides a great opportunity for athletes to connect and stimulates the local economy.
As the MAC’s lack of support for the event is likely due to national security concerns, the county hopes it could hold the event in the future under better circumstances, Lee said.
The event’s cancelation would not only harm the local economy, but could also affect the region’s development, he said.
The county hopes to maintain a good relationship with the central government, he said, adding that it hopes this year’s cancelation is a one-time occurrence.
Lee said the county still plans to invite Taiwanese athletes to Kinmen as planned and would continue to update them on the situation.
The Chinese side also expressed regret that the event would be canceled, he said.
Additional reporting by CNA
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue