Indonesia and Australia yesterday finalized a new bilateral defense treaty that would enhance the two nations’ ability to operate their militaries in each other’s territory.
The agreement was reached as Indonesian president-elect Prabowo Subianto, who also serves as defense minister, met with Australian officials at the Australian parliament earlier yesterday.
The bilateral relationship is becoming increasingly important to Australians in face of growing tensions with China. The pact is to be signed within days, when Australian Minister for Defence Richard Marles visits Jakarta.
Photo: AFP / Prabowo Media Team
Marles said the successful conclusion of negotiations after two years was significant for both countries’ national security.
“What this agreement will do is provide for much greater interoperability between our defense forces, it will provide for much more exercises between our defense forces, it will see us working together the global commons to support the rules-based order and, importantly, it will allow us to operate from each other’s countries,” Marles told reporters.
“And in that sense, this agreement will be the deepest, the most significant agreement that our two countries have ever made,” he said.
Prabowo described the agreement as “ironing out some legalistic details” and said that it achieved “great progress” in the two countries’ defense cooperation.
Euan Graham, an analyst at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute think tank, questioned the pact’s strategic value to Australia.
Prabowo made clear that Indonesia would remain non-aligned under his leadership, Graham said.
This means Indonesia will remain among a group of countries that do not want to be officially aligned with or against any major power bloc such as the US.
“The issue is that Indonesia doesn’t share the same threat perception as Australia towards China,” he added.
With about 275 million people, Indonesia has 10 times the population of Australia, which has fewer than 27 million people.
Prabowo's overnight Canberra visit was his first to Australia since he was elected president in February.
He noted that Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was the first foreign leader to congratulate him on his election victory.
“We have had our ups and downs as the political situation and the geopolitical situation of course evolved, but I think we are very happy today to have several decades of very close cooperation,” Prabowo told reporters, adding that he was determined to continue “this good neighbor relationship.”
Albanese said he looked forward to attending Prabowo's inauguration on Oct. 20.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary