The strongest typhoon to hit Taiwan in eight years yesterday killed three people and flooded parts of the nation’s second-biggest city, while rescuers were searching for nine sailors after their cargo ship sank in the storm.
Typhoon Gaemi transformed streets in Kaohsiung into rivers, with some households flooded. Offices and schools were closed for the second consecutive day, with thousands of people evacuated.
Three people died and 380 were injured due to strong winds and torrential rainfall brought by Typhoon Gaemi, the Central Emergency Response Center said.
Photo: Johnson Liu / AFP
The typhoon made landfall in Yilan County’s Nanao Township (南澳) at midnight yesterday and departed Taiwan proper at 4:20am.
The storm brought torrential rainfall to central and southern Taiwan.
Two people died on Wednesday — a 64-year-old woman in Kaohsiung and a 44-year-old woman in Hualien County, the center said at a briefing at 3pm yesterday.
Photo: CNA
The woman in Kaohsiung was crushed by a falling tree while riding a scooter, while the woman in Hualien was killed by a parapet that fell from a building while she was driving home from work, the center said.
The third person who died, whose age and sex were not disclosed, died after a mudslide hit their home in Kaohsiung’s Cishan District (旗山) yesterday, it said.
Torrential rainfall caused severe flooding in central and southern Taiwan, with the center issuing Level 1 flood alerts for Tainan and Kaohsiung, as well as Nantou, Chiayi and Pingtung counties.
Photo: CNA
From midnight on Tuesday to 5pm yesterday, Kaohsiung’s Maolin District (茂林) recorded accumulated rainfall of 1,600.5mm, the highest reading nationwide, Central Weather Administration data showed.
Stations in Pingtung County’s Weiliaoshan (尾寮山) and Chiayi County’s Shipanlong (石磐龍) recorded accumulated rainfall of 1,433mm and 1,277.5mm respectively, the data showed.
The National Fire Agency said it received a report early yesterday that a cargo ship had sunk off Taiwan’s southern coast, forcing its nine Burmese crew members to abandon the vessel in life jackets.
“They fell into the sea and were floating there,” National Fire Agency Director-General Hsiao Huan-chang (蕭煥章) said, adding that a nearby Taiwanese cargo ship had been asked to assist in rescue efforts.
However, when the cargo ship arrived in the area, visibility was very low and the winds were too strong, negating the rescue, Hsiao said.
Rescue aircraft from Kaohsiung had joined the ongoing search, he told a news conference later yesterday.
As of 3pm yesterday, the center had received 8,300 reports of damage, with 3,638 of them related to fallen trees.
There were 1,505 reports of damage to power poles and other public infrastructure, 474 reports of damage to buildings and 404 reports about damage to billboards, the center said.
Meanwhile, 12,001 people from 15 administrative regions were evacuated as a preventive measure, with Pingtung County accounting for a large number of those moved, it said.
About 700,000 households reported power outages, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said, adding that the number is the fifth-largest ever recorded while Taiwan was under the influence of a typhoon.
Most homes were expected to have had power restored yesterday, it said.
Agricultural losses had topped NT$50.78 million (US$1.55 million) as of 3pm, the Ministry of Agriculture said, adding that most of the damaged crops were bananas, watermelons, leeks, chayote shoots and taros.
Hundreds of domestic and international flights were canceled because of the storm.
High-speed rail services would resume normal operations today, Taiwan High-Speed Rail Corp said.
Taiwan Railway Corp said that four sections of the North Railway Link and one section of the West Coast Line were severely damaged.
Minister of Transportation and Communications Li Meng-yen (李孟諺) asked Taiwan Railway to begin repairing the damage when it was safe to do so.
Rail services can only be resumed when there are no safety issues, Li said.
Additional reporting by AP
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue