Iran has further increased its stockpile of uranium enriched to near weapons-grade levels, a confidential report on Monday by the UN’s nuclear watchdog said, the latest in Tehran’s attempts to steadily exert pressure on the international community.
Iran is seeking to have economic sanctions imposed over the nation’s controversial nuclear program lifted in exchange for slowing the program down. The program is under the guidance of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and that likely would not change in the wake of last week’s helicopter crash that killed Iran’s president and foreign minister.
The report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said that as of May 11, Iran had 142.1kg of uranium enriched up to 60 percent — an increase of 20.6kg since the last report by the UN agency in February.
Photo:AP
Uranium enriched at 60 percent purity is just a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels of 90 percent.
By the IAEA’s definition, about 42kg of uranium enriched to 60 percent is the amount at which creating one atomic weapon is theoretically possible — if the material is enriched further, to 90 percent.
Iran’s overall stockpile of enriched uranium stood at 6,201.3kg, an increase of 675.8kg since the IAEA’s previous report.
Iran has maintained its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes only, but IAEA Director-General Rafael Mariano Grossi has previously warned that Tehran has enough uranium enriched to near-weapons-grade levels to make “several” nuclear bombs if it chose to do so.
He has acknowledged the UN agency cannot guarantee that none of Iran’s centrifuges might have been peeled away for clandestine enrichment.
Tensions have grown between Iran and the IAEA since 2018, when then-US president Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers. Since then, Iran has abandoned all limits the deal put on its program and quickly stepped up enrichment.
Under the original nuclear deal, struck in 2015, Iran was allowed to enrich uranium only up to 3.67 percent purity, maintain a stockpile of about 300kg and use only very basic IR-1 centrifuges — machines that spin uranium gas at high speed for enrichment purposes.
Monday’s report also said that Tehran has not reconsidered its decision in September last year to bar IAEA inspectors from further monitoring its nuclear program, adding that it expects Iran “to do so in the context of the ongoing consultations between the agency and Iran.”
In the report, Grossi said he “deeply regrets” Iran’s decision to bar inspectors, and a reversal of that decision “remains essential to fully allow the agency to conduct its verification activities in Iran effectively.”
The deaths of then-Iranian president Ebrahim Raisi and then-minister of foreign affairs Hossein Amirabdollahian have triggered a pause in the IAEA’s talks with Tehran over improving cooperation, the report said.
Before the May 19 helicopter crash, Iran had agreed to hold technical negotiations with IAEA on May 20, following a visit by Grossi earlier in the month, but those meetings fell apart due to the crash.
Iran then sent a letter on Tuesday last week, saying its nuclear team wants to continue discussions in Tehran “on an appropriate date that will be mutually agreed upon,” the report said.
The report added that Iran has still not provided answers to the IAEA’s years-long investigation about the origin and current location of manmade uranium particles found at two locations — Varamin and Turquzabad — that Tehran has failed to declare as potential nuclear sites.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats