Admiral Huang Shu-kuang’s (黃曙光) resignation as head of the Indigenous Submarine Program and as a member of the National Security Council could affect the production of submarines, a source said yesterday.
Huang in a statement last night said he had decided to resign due to national security concerns while expressing the hope that it would put a stop to political wrangling that only undermines the advancement of the nation’s defense capabilities.
Taiwan People’s Party Legislator Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) yesterday said that the admiral, her older brother, felt it was time for him to step down and that he had completed what he set out to do.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
The resignation also coincides with the handing off of President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) administration to the in-coming administration of president-elect William Lai (賴清德), Vivian Huang said.
Huang Shu-kuang recently filed defamation lawsuits against media personalities demanding NT$2 million (US$61,557) in damages over allegations of corruption during his time overseeing the submarine project.
Under the admiral’s watch, the nation’s first domestically made submarine, the Hai Kun (海鯤), or Narwhal, was launched in Kaohsiung in September last year. It is undergoing harbor acceptance tests.
Photo: Lee Hui-chou, Taipei Times
CSBC Corp, Taiwan (台船) chairman Cheng Wen-lon (鄭文隆) last month said that the nation’s first domestically built submarine would be ready for delivery by the deadline of Nov. 3 next year.
Huang Shu-kuang’s plan was to stagger the production of seven indigenous submarines over three phases: three in the first phase, including the Hai Kun prototype and two others, followed by a final batch with performance upgrades.
The source said that during an internal meeting, Lai asked that production funding for the submarines be provided in full in one budget.
However, with Huang Shu-kuang’s exit, the Ministry of National Defense and Navy Command Headquarters would take over the project, which would change production timelines, the source said.
Navy Commander Tang Hua (唐華) has other opinions regarding the construction of a naval force and improving combat readiness, such as the planned littoral combatant command, they said.
According to the navy, the command would control the Hai Feng Shore Based Anti-ship Missile Group, a unit of speedboats armed with anti-air and surface-to-surface missiles, and maritime surveillance. The command would oversee all defense-related affairs within 24 nautical miles (44.4km) of the coast.
Tang has also commented on submarine production, saying that their manufacture, equipment and functions, and strategic deployment should be based on the combat environment that Taiwan might face.
That could require new thinking on how submarines would be deployed, the source said.
Whether Tang’s opinions on the program would align with National Security Council Deputy Secretary-General Wellington Koo’s (顧立雄) vision or would receive the support of Lai, depends on the who is in the Cabinet after the presidential inauguration on May 20, the source said.
Additional reporting by Lee Wen-hsin
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very