The nation’s first domestically built submarine prototype, the Hai Kun (海鯤號), yesterday was transferred to a dry dock for final harbor acceptance tests.
The prototype has been undergoing harbor acceptance tests at the factory of shipbuilder CSBC Corp, Taiwan (台灣國際造船) in Kaohsiung since October last year after an unveiling ceremony in late September.
On Monday evening, the prototype was towed from the CSBC factory to nearby Jong Shyn floating dock No. 8 and then transferred to a nearby dry dock, where the final tests were being conducted.
Photo: CNA
As the submarine was being moved out of the factory to the floating dock, a large number of spectators, including news media, shot videos and photographs of the Hai Kun, which had only been seen publicly once before, at an unveiling event on Sept. 28 last year, during which the bow, torpedo tubes and other critical components were concealed beneath a national flag.
CSBC chairman Cheng Wen-lon (鄭文隆) said at the time the measure was taken so as not to reveal of confidential parts of the submarine for security reasons, pending further testing.
When the prototype was moved on Monday, many of the previously concealed parts were visible, including its intercept sonar, flank sonar array and torpedo tubes.
Photo: CNA
The military did not explain why those elements were revealed after previously being covered.
However, there were some parts, including the tail, that were shielded from view at last year’s ceremony and remained that way during the move.
Shu Hsiao-huang (舒孝煌) of government-funded think tank the Institute for National Defense and Security Research, said the submarine’s tail remained shielded because “enemy forces” could estimate the prototype’s underwater speed and acoustic fingerprint by observing the number of its propellers, their angles and structural designs.
Retired navy captain Jiang Hsin- biao (江炘杓) said that yesterday’s tests at the dry dock were meant to make sure the submarine’s actual displacement is consistent with its original design.
Among the tests to be conducted would be an inclining test that is performed to determine the ship’s stability and the coordinates of its center of gravity.
Other tests at the dry dock would focus on separately testing the submarine’s equipment, ventilation system and engine, before running a comprehensive test by connecting the systems together, Jiang said.
Only after successful completion of the tests would the prototype move on to sea acceptance tests, the military and CSBC said.
Huang Shu-kuang (黃曙光), the head of Taiwan’s Indigenous Defense Submarine program, previously told reporters that the prototype would complete both sets of tests before being delivered to the navy at some point before the end of this year.
In other news, among the first batch of 655 draftees for the new one-year conscription period who reported for training last month, 117 have signed up to serve in the volunteer military force, the Ministry of National Defense said yesterday.
The figure, higher than the number of draftees who signed up last year during the same period of their four-month conscription, shows that the conscripts find the military and their salaries agreeable, Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) said.
The starting salary for conscripts was increased to more than NT$20,000 a month from NT$6,510 after the government extended compulsory military service from four months to one year.
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good