The Legislative Yuan yesterday enacted the Road Traffic Safety Basic Act (道路交通安全基本法), finalizing the nation’s new road and traffic policy in hopes of achieving the goal of zero traffic incident-related deaths.
The act, passed by the Executive Yuan on Aug. 17, provides a legal basis upon which traffic safety policies may be enacted and budgets may be allocated.
According to the act, the Executive Yuan has to present a central traffic safety report to coordinate and promote nationwide traffic safety efforts.
The premier is to chair a panel of experts consisting of ministers without portfolio, representatives or heads of agencies, and municipal and city mayors, and county commissioners, which is to compile the safety report, it says.
The government is tasked with establishing and enforcing traffic safety regulations, policies and guidelines, as well as conducting regular inspections, publishing reviews and ensuring transparency, it says.
The central government should assist local governments and oversee the policy’s implementation, it says.
Municipal governments and local cities and counties must set local traffic implementation plans and conduct regular assessments of the policies, it says.
Municipal governments, and local city and county administrators should meet with experts, local traffic safety groups and representatives from agencies to review traffic safety regulations, it says.
The central government is tasked with establishing a comprehensive driver training program, and examination and standards of qualifications to become a driver to ensure drivers’ competency, it says.
The central government shall reference international vehicular safety regulations and establish a standard of vehicle safety examination, and ameliorate existing vehicle safety examinations, it says.
Governments across all levels should be transparent about traffic safety information, and work to improve traffic conditions, compile traffic incident data and make traffic safety reports, it says
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers Lee De-wei (李德維) and Sandy Yu (游毓蘭), and Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Su Chiao-hui(蘇巧慧) said the legislation is a milestone in Taiwan’s traffic safety history.
The country sees more than 3,000 deaths per year caused by traffic incidents, they said, adding that they hope the act would serve to improve traffic safety and to show the international community that Taiwan is no longer a “pedestrian hell.”
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Friday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
SEEKING CALM: The US called for maintaining the ‘status quo,’ while the Ministry of National Defense said it would not bolster defenses in the area to avoid raising tensions Taiwanese should have greater faith in the government’s investigation into the capsizing of a Chinese vessel that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said yesterday, adding that Taiwan abides by the rule of law. On Wednesday last week, a Chinese speedboat was spotted trespassing in “prohibited” waters within 1.1 nautical miles (2km) of the east coast of Kinmen. It fled after refusing the coast guard’s request to board the vessel, setting off a chase that led to the boat capsizing, with two Chinese fishers dying. Two survivors were deported back to China