The High Court yesterday upheld a ruling that former Ting Hsin International Group (頂新集團) executive Wei Ying-chun (魏應充) be fined and not face more jail time for his role in a 2014 cooking oil scandal.
The High Court’s Taichung Branch upheld the decision on 83 counts — which carried a 10-year, two-month prison sentence that could be commuted to a fine of NT$3.71 million (US$120,800), or NT$1,000 per day of the prison term — after the High Prosecutors’ Office did not appeal.
The decision to commute the penalty sparked outrage online, with comments on the Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) article about the ruling condemning the justice system.
Photo: Chang Jui-chen, Taipei Times
One Internet user surnamed Kuo (郭) wrote: “How can judges permit him to merely pay a fine and avoid prison?”
“He and the Wei family are rich. They only fear getting locked up,” they said. “This kind of ruling encourages wealthy people to commit crimes.”
A person surnamed Chien (錢) wrote that a “10-year sentence means it is a serious crime, so he should be imprisoned. The dinosaur judges and prosecutors who decided not to appeal should be charged with dereliction of duty.”
“Are Taiwan’s courts permitting criminals who are rich to not serve prison time?” another person wrote.
Wei has been sentenced to prison three times for his role in the scandal.
Most recently, he was convicted in July last year and sentenced to nine years and two months for contravening the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法) and other offenses.
Wei was released on January after serving only six months, with judicial officials saying that portions of the sentence could be commuted to fines totaling NT$176 million, which the Wei family paid in January, and that he was eligible for parole for good behavior.
Moreover, Wei’s sentence included time he had already served pending earlier investigations and hearings, they said.
In 2014, investigators found that Wei and other company executives instructed that animal feed-grade material from Vietnamese firm Dai Hanh Phuc Co be imported.
Wei sought to cut costs by changing the formulas for 14 blended-oil products his companies produced, including one falsely marketed as a premium class of blended oil that was actually 98 percent palm oil.
The scandal created a food-safety furor and led to class-action lawsuits against Ting Hsin and its subsidiaries.
Wei’s first conviction was for breaches of food safety rules and fraud, with the Intellectual Property Court in April 2017 handing him a two-year term, of which he served just over 500 days before being paroled in December 2018.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue