China yesterday lifted quarantine requirements for inbound travelers, ending almost three years of self-imposed isolation even as the country battles a surge in COVID-19 cases.
The first people to arrive expressed relief at not having to undergo the grueling quarantines that had become a fixture of life in China.
Beijing last month began a dramatic dismantling of a hardline “zero COVID” strategy that had enforced mandatory quarantines and punishing lockdowns. The policy had a huge effect on the world’s second-biggest economy and generated resentment throughout society that led to nationwide protests just before it was eased.
Photo: Reuters
At Shanghai’s Pudong International Airport, a woman surnamed Pang yesterday said she was thrilled with the ease of travel.
“I think it’s really good that the policy has changed now, it’s really humane,” she said. “It’s a necessary step I think. COVID has become normalized now and after this hurdle everything will be smooth.”
At Beijing Capital International Airport, barriers that once kept international and domestic arrivals apart were gone, as were the “big whites” — staff in hazmat suits long a fixture of life in “zero COVID” China.
Meanwhile, people streamed through border crossing points from Hong Kong.
After years of separation from his wife in China, Hong Kong resident Cheung Seng-bun made sure to be among the first in line.
“I’m hurrying to get back to her,” Cheung, lugging a heavy suitcase, said as he prepared to cross at Lok Ma Chau Station, which was filling with eager travelers.
However, those crossing between Hong Kong and mainland China are still required to show a negative COVID-19 test taken within the past 48 hours — a measure China has protested when imposed by other countries.
Limited ferry services also were also restored from China’s Fujian Province to Taiwan’s Kinmen County just off the Chinese coast.
Official data showed that about 410,000 people in Hong Kong planned to travel north in the next two months, while about 7,000 people in mainland China planned to travel south yesterday.
The expected surge in visitors has led more than a dozen countries — most recently Germany, Sweden and Portugal — to impose testing requirements on travelers from China.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand said in a statement on Saturday that starting early today, all foreign arrivals must prove they are vaccinated or provide a letter certifying that they have recovered from COVID-19 within six months.
Additional reporting by AP and Reuters
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very