New voluntary military recruits are to undergo more intense and longer training from next year to boost their combat preparedness, the Ministry of National Defense announced yesterday.
Major General Liu Shen-mo (劉慎謨), director of the Office of the Deputy Chief of the General Staff for Training’s Military Training Division, told reporters that the system as it is has new voluntary military recruits undergoing 230 hours of training over five weeks.
However, from Jan. 1, boot camp is to be extended to eight weeks with the total training hours increased to 380, Liu said.
Photo courtesy of the Ministry of National Defense
Aside from what is taught in the existing program such as combat skills and weapons use, the new program is to include health management, pressure resistance, sports science, survival skills and casualty care, among others, he said.
The new recruits would also spend more time on marksmanship, he said.
Currently, recruits need to fire 86 rounds in a prone position, but from next month they would need to fire 160 rounds while standing, prone and kneeling, with nighttime firing added, Liu said.
After completing the eight-week course, the recruits would be assigned to military units for further training as they begin their service, he added.
However, the change would not affect compulsory military training, with conscripts to undergo a five-week boot camp before being assigned to field units.
The nation’s military is a mainly volunteer force, with conscripts serving supporting roles. Taiwan has about 215,000 troops.
As of last year, there were 160,000 voluntary military personnel.
The decision to change the boot camp training program was to meet “the needs of modern warfare and learn from the experience of other more advanced countries,” Liu said, without elaborating.
As for extending the duration of mandatory service to one year, ministry spokesman Sun Li-fang (孫立方) said that the policy would have far-ranging effects and preparations are under way for its implementation.
More detailed plans would follow once they are known, Sun said.
The Act of Military Service System (兵役法) stipulates that reverting to one year of mandatory service would require one year of advance notice, meaning that if the notice is not announced this year, the planned 2024 implementation date would be postponed to 2025.
Experts yesterday urged the government to make its policy decisions known as soon as possible, as it would help ministries and the public prepare accordingly.
Institute of National Defense and Security Research fellow Su Tzu-yun (蘇紫雲) said that China’s military is becoming more advanced, while recruitment in Taiwan is facing the added challenge of a falling birthrate.
Chen Kuo-ming (陳國銘), editor of the Chinese-language Defence International magazine, said that the chances an announcement to lengthen compulsory service would be made before the end of this year are high, but it is also important to outline how training would change.
Extending service would allow conscripts more time to hone their infantry, logistics and maintenance skills, Chen said, adding that while it would be difficult for conscripts to operate armored vehicles, they would still be adequate foot soldiers in the event of an invasion.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
POWER PLANT POLL: The TPP said the number of ‘yes’ votes showed that the energy policy should be corrected, and the KMT said the result was a win for the people’s voice The government does not rule out advanced nuclear energy generation if it meets the government’s three prerequisites, President William Lai (賴清德) said last night after the number of votes in favor of restarting a nuclear power plant outnumbered the “no” votes in a referendum yesterday. The referendum failed to pass, despite getting more “yes” votes, as the Referendum Act (公民投票法) states that the vote would only pass if the votes in favor account for more than one-fourth of the total number of eligible voters and outnumber the opposing votes. Yesterday’s referendum question was: “Do you agree that the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.