North Korea yesterday fired four ballistic missiles, the South Korean military said, the latest in Pyongyang’s testing blitz this week as Washington and Seoul concluded their biggest-ever air force drills.
The flurry of North Korean launches included an intercontinental ballistic missile and one that landed near the South’s territorial waters.
South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol said it was “effectively a territorial invasion.”
Photo: South Korean Ministry of Defense via Reuters
The launches came as hundreds of US and South Korean warplanes — including B-1B heavy bombers — participated in the “Vigilant Storm” exercise, which Pyongyang described as “aggressive and provocative.”
“The South Korean military detected four short-range ballistic missiles launched by North Korea from Tongrim, North Pyongan Province, to the West Sea at around 11:32am to 11:59am today,” the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff wrote in a statement on yesterday, using another name for the Yellow Sea.
Their “flight distance was detected at about 130km, an altitude of about 20 km, and a speed of about Mach 5,” they wrote.
Mach 5 is equivalent to five times the speed of sound.
The US and South Korea have said that these launches could culminate in a nuclear test by North Korea, and extended their air force drills until yesterday in response. Vigilant Storm was originally scheduled to run from Monday to Friday.
Pyongyang ramped up missile launches in response to the drills. Such exercises have long provoked strong reactions from North Korea, which sees them as rehearsals for an invasion.
Vigilant Storm concluded with the US Air Force deploying two B-1B long-range heavy bombers in a ramped-up show of force.
This was the first time B-1Bs have flown to the Korean Peninsula since December 2017.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff said it demonstrated the “capability and readiness to firmly respond to any provocations from North Korea.”
Pyongyang has especially condemned past deployments of US strategic weapons such as B-1Bs and aircraft carrier strike groups in times of high tension.
While the supersonic B-1B Lancer aircraft no longer carries nuclear weapons, it is described by the US Air Force as “the backbone of America’s long-range bomber force.”
The US Air Force lists the Lancer’s weapons payload as 34 tonnes, which can include cruise missiles and laser-guided bombs.
The B-1B’s range can be extended by in-air refueling, giving it the ability to strike anywhere in the world.
Ahn Chan-il, a North Korean studies academic, said that given the B-1B’s status as a strategic US asset, its deployment would be seen as a “significant threat” by North Korea.
The B-1B deployment came a day after South Korea scrambled fighter jets in response to what it said was the mobilization of about 180 North Korean warplanes.
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Tuesday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
SEEKING CALM: The US called for maintaining the ‘status quo,’ while the Ministry of National Defense said it would not bolster defenses in the area to avoid raising tensions Taiwanese should have greater faith in the government’s investigation into the capsizing of a Chinese vessel that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said yesterday, adding that Taiwan abides by the rule of law. On Wednesday last week, a Chinese speedboat was spotted trespassing in “prohibited” waters within 1.1 nautical miles (2km) of the east coast of Kinmen. It fled after refusing the coast guard’s request to board the vessel, setting off a chase that led to the boat capsizing, with two Chinese fishers dying. Two survivors were deported back to China