Ukraine yesterday warned of an emerging “critical” risk to its power grid after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said that repeated Russian bombardments had destroyed one-third of the nation’s power facilities as winter approaches.
That warning came as Russian forces claimed to have retaken territory from Ukrainian troops in the eastern Kharkiv region, Moscow’s first announced capture of a village there since being nearly entirely pushed out of the region last month.
At the same time, Russian attacks rocked energy facilities in Kyiv and urban centers across the nation, causing blackouts and disrupting water supplies, just one day after the capital was bombarded with a swarm of suicide drones.
Photo: AFP
“The situation is critical now across the country because our regions are dependent on one another... It’s necessary for the whole country to prepare for electricity, water and heating outages,” Kyrylo Tymoshenko, deputy head of the Ukrainian president’s office, told Ukrainian television.
The strikes in the early hours yesterday hit Kyiv, Kharkiv in the east, Mykolaiv in the south, and central regions of Dnipro and Zhytomyr, where officials said hospitals were running on backup generators.
Drones also bombarded Kyiv on Monday leaving five dead, officials said, in what the presidency described as an attack of desperation.
Photo: AFP
It was the second Monday in a row that Russia launched punitive strikes which military observers have said appear to be Moscow’s response to battlefield losses.
Zelenskiy described the repeated targeting of energy infrastructure as “another kind of Russian terrorist attacks.”
“Since October 10, 30 percent of Ukraine’s power stations have been destroyed, causing massive blackouts across the country,” he wrote on Twitter.
He said the attack meant that there was “no space left for negotiations with [Russian President Vladimir] Putin’s regime.”
Following the wave of kamikaze drone attacks against Kyiv on Monday, Ukrainian Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba demanded EU sanctions on Iran, accusing Tehran of providing Russia with drones.
The Kremlin yesterday said that it has no knowledge of its army using Iranian drones in Ukraine.
“Russian tech is being used,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, referring other questions to the Russian Ministry of Defense.
Separately, Russia yesterday said a “technical malfunction” probably caused a Russian warplane to crash into a block of flats in Yeysk, near Ukraine, killing at least 13 people, including three children.
Investigators said they were questioning the pilots of the Sukhoi Su-34, who managed to parachute out of the plane before it crashed on Monday into the nine-story building, engulfing it in flames.
Nineteen people were injured, four of them critically.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday inaugurated the Danjiang Bridge across the Tamsui River in New Taipei City, saying that the structure would be an architectural icon and traffic artery for Taiwan. Feted as a major engineering achievement, the Danjiang Bridge is 920m long, 211m tall at the top of its pylon, and is the longest single-pylon asymmetric cable-stayed bridge in the world, the government’s Web site for the structure said. It was designed by late Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid. The structure, with a maximum deck of 70m, accommodates road and light rail traffic, and affords a 200m navigation channel for boats,
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House