An online rumor that National Security Bureau Director-General Chen Ming-tong (陳明通) visited Thailand at taxpayers’ expense in July is “classic cognitive warfare” intended to signal to foreign officials that their whereabouts in Thailand are known to China, a national security official said on Saturday.
The rumor originated from a Twitter message posted on Monday last week by the account “somchai” (@andreny45652235), claiming that Chen took a sightseeing trip to Thailand at public expense.
As proof, the user posted a photograph of Chen allegedly taken at Thai customs, as well as screenshots of a customs clearance spreadsheet and a hotel bill.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
The post was also shared on Facebook, including the popular group Baoliao Commune.
The bureau the same day said details of the post were incorrect, although it did not specify whether Chen visited Thailand.
“The activities of bureau officials as a matter of course are not shared with the public,” it said.
The Twitter account was created only last month and posted six messages before being taken down, a national security official said on condition of anonymity.
The incident played out as “classic cognitive warfare from overseas,” they said.
The account posted unverified photographs designed to instigate public debate and urged viewers to “see for yourself,” the official said.
The post was then shared on different social media platforms by collaborators and rewritten into news stories, ensuring that the false narrative makes the switch from online to offline to expand its sphere of influence, they said.
If true, it reveals the extent to which Chinese agents have infiltrated security systems in Thailand, they said, adding that the post intentionally includes information from multiple sources to convey its reach.
Apart from attempting to cast doubt on the abilities of Taiwan’s national security apparatus, the post also intends to send a message to officials from other countries that China might be aware of the details of their trips to Thailand, the official said.
As for the purpose of Chen’s alleged visit, the official said that Thailand has always been an important international center for intelligence.
Distrust of Beijing has deepened among other countries in the region over the past few months, and consequently boosting security ties and cooperation has become an urgent matter, they added.
Additional reporting by Aaron Tu
CLASH OF WORDS: While China’s foreign minister insisted the US play a constructive role with China, Rubio stressed Washington’s commitment to its allies in the region The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) yesterday affirmed and welcomed US Secretary of State Marco Rubio statements expressing the US’ “serious concern over China’s coercive actions against Taiwan” and aggressive behavior in the South China Sea, in a telephone call with his Chinese counterpart. The ministry in a news release yesterday also said that the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs had stated many fallacies about Taiwan in the call. “We solemnly emphasize again that our country and the People’s Republic of China are not subordinate to each other, and it has been an objective fact for a long time, as well as
‘CHARM OFFENSIVE’: Beijing has been sending senior Chinese officials to Okinawa as part of efforts to influence public opinion against the US, the ‘Telegraph’ reported Beijing is believed to be sowing divisions in Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture to better facilitate an invasion of Taiwan, British newspaper the Telegraph reported on Saturday. Less than 750km from Taiwan, Okinawa hosts nearly 30,000 US troops who would likely “play a pivotal role should Beijing order the invasion of Taiwan,” it wrote. To prevent US intervention in an invasion, China is carrying out a “silent invasion” of Okinawa by stoking the flames of discontent among locals toward the US presence in the prefecture, it said. Beijing is also allegedly funding separatists in the region, including Chosuke Yara, the head of the Ryukyu Independence
‘ARMED GROUP’: Two defendants used Chinese funds to form the ‘Republic of China Taiwan Military Government,’ posing a threat to national security, prosecutors said A retired lieutenant general has been charged after using funds from China to recruit military personnel for an “armed” group that would assist invading Chinese forces, prosecutors said yesterday. The retired officer, Kao An-kuo (高安國), was among six people indicted for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法), the High Prosecutors’ Office said in a statement. The group visited China multiple times, separately and together, from 2018 to last year, where they met Chinese military intelligence personnel for instructions and funding “to initiate and develop organizations for China,” prosecutors said. Their actions posed a “serious threat” to “national security and social stability,” the statement
‘INDISCRIMINATE’: The drastic changes would delay many national projects as well as undermine global confidence in Taiwan’s resolve to defend itself, the premier said The Legislative Yuan yesterday on third reading passed the central government budget for this year, cutting 6.6 percent from the Executive Yuan’s proposed expenditure — the largest in history. The budget proposal, which the Cabinet approved in August last year, set government spending at NT$3.1325 trillion (US$95.6 billion), with projected revenues of NT$3.1534 trillion — both record highs — working out to a surplus of NT$20.9 billion. On Friday last week, the opposition-led legislature voted to cut NT$93.98 billion from the budget’s general provisions. During a 20-hour continuous session from Monday until yesterday morning, they continued to slash the budgets of government agencies,