The Taiwan Railways Administration’s (TRA) accident reviews often exude an air of complacency as if the agency “embraces its shortcomings,” Premier William Lai (賴清德) said yesterday.
“The TRA had caused many accidents before. This time, it must engage in serious introspection and make strenuous efforts to introduce sweeping reform,” Executive Yuan spokeswoman Kolas Yotaka quoted Lai as telling a news conference in Taipei.
The government must “let experience be its guide” and show determination to prevent similar tragedies if it is to live up to public expectations, Lai said after listening to a briefing by officials on Sunday’s derailment of a Puyuma Express train in Yilan County.
Photo: Lu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
The government would take the first step toward reform by conducting an impartial, open and transparent investigation into the incident, which would establish facts based strictly on evidence and hold accountable all agencies and people who bear responsibility, he said.
Lai said he has ordered the Ministry of Transportation and Communications to contract experts to thoroughly inspect the safety of the Puyuma Express trains, which must now decelerate at the curve before Sinma Station (新馬車站) in Yilan County until inspection results prove that faster speeds are safe.
The TRA must demonstrate resolve in completely reforming its passenger cars, tracks and personnel to boost efficiency and provide better service, he said.
The reform plan would be overseen by Minister Without Portfolio Chang Ching-sen (張景森), he said.
The Executive Yuan is also to form an independent “transportation safety committee” tasked with investigating major transportation accidents in the air, on land or at sea, the premier said.
The ministry is to draft an organizational bill for the proposed agency within a month and deliver it to the Legislative Yuan for review, he said.
The Executive Yuan has instructed the Ministry of Health and Welfare to ensure that hospitals provide people injured in the derailment with the best possible service, and ensure special attention is given to rehabilitation, Lai said.
It should ensure that people are provided continued support after they leave the hospital, he said.
Lai apologized for the incident and expressed his gratitude to the central and local government agencies, private sector and paramedics who helped with rescue and relief efforts.
Minister of Transportation and Communications Wu Hung-mo (吳宏謀) also apologized for the “grave death toll and casualties.”
Asked whether he would insist on resigning despite Lai’s request that he stay on, Wu said that he would leave the decision to his superiors.
However, the resignation of TRA Director-General Jason Lu (鹿潔身) has been approved, Wu added.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats