Police yesterday apprehended a suspect in a deadly fire at an apartment building in New Taipei City’s Jhonghe District (中和) on Wednesday night that killed nine people and injured two, and questioned the owner of units in the building, who could be charged with negligent manslaughter.
The suspect, identified as 49-year-old Li Guohui (李國輝), an ethnic Chinese man born in Myanmar, was arrested in the vicinity of the building at about 3am yesterday, Jhonghe Police Precinct Deputy Chief Huang Kuo-cheng (黃國政) said.
Police tracked Li down based on footage from surveillance cameras and information provided by some of the building’s residents, he said.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
Li admitted during questioning to starting the fire with a cigarette lighter, Huang said.
Li reportedly had ongoing disputes with another ethnic Chinese man from Myanmar surnamed Hu (胡), who lives in one of the apartments on the building’s fourth floor, Huang said.
After an initial investigation, police said that Li poured gasoline from bottles on the stairwells on the third and fourth floors, and lit the fuel. The fire quickly spread out of control, because most of the building’s internal structure is made of wood and other flammable materials, they added.
While officials have not released the nationalities of the nine people killed in the fire, some are believed to have been migrant workers.
Police arrested Li within hours of the incident because he was known to them, as he had been questioned and placed on a watch list for alleged involvement in two arson cases in May and June in which no one died, Huang said.
The New Taipei City District Prosecutors’ Office said that Li had been summoned for questioning as part of investigations into the two earlier incidents, but he failed to appear.
The New Taipei City Government said it would take legal action to seize the assets of current and previous owners of the apartment building.
City officials said numerous building code violations and illegal structures were found at the building, which might have contributed to the death toll.
Officials said they were also considering charging a woman surnamed Lien (連), reportedly the owner of the building’s fourth and fifth floors, with endangering public safety.
Lien was released on bail of NT$50,000 after questioning yesterday.
She is thought to have illegally divided each of the two floors into 14 units of about 2 to 3 ping (6.6m2 to 9.9m2) that were rented out, investigators said.
Investigators found that the building was originally a four-story structure and the fifth level, consisting of wooden walls and an aluminum roof, was illegally built by a previous owner, they said.
Additional reporting by Chen Wei-tzu and CNA
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats