Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lee (李大維) yesterday said that the ministry has not received an invitation to this year’s International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) assembly in Canada, adding that the government regrets and is disappointed with the outcome, while it believes the apparent decision to not invite Taiwan is a mistake.
“It is extremely unfair to Taiwan and a great loss to international flight safety,” Lee told a news conference in Taipei after confirming at the Legislative Yuan in the morning that the ministry had not yet received an invitation.
Lee on Thursday said that the ministry would know by yesterday whether it would receive an invitation.
Separately yesterday, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said that flight safety is a basic human right and should not be compromised with any “premise” or “affected and deprived due to the intervention of political factors,” regardless of political affiliation.
“Since [the first direct presidential election in] 1996, Taiwanese have shown the world our resolve for democracy and freedom. The road chosen by Taiwanese is a demonstration of collective will. If we all agree that democracy is a universal value, then there should not be anyone suffering unfair treatment because they chose democracy; there should not be anyone deprived of their rights just because they do not accept some undemocratic framework and confinement,” the president said.
“Participating in international organizations and activities with equality, dignity and an aim to make a contribution has always been Taiwan’s goal, and part of Taiwan’s rights and obligations as a member of the international community,” Tsai said.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Lee Kun-tse (李昆澤) said at a legislative question-and-answer session that Taiwan’s international participation has consistently met opposition from China.
“The ICAO is a civil aviation organization and its discussions on security and counterterrorism issues could influence nations worldwide to implement new regulations,” Lee Kun-tse said, adding that 1.53 million aircraft and 58 million people pass through the Taipei Flight Information Region every year, while aviation safety is not confined to national borders and should not be trumped by political ideologies.
Premier Lin Chuan (林全) said that the government has not received an invitation and that Taiwan therefore “has little chance to attend” this year’s ICAO assembly.
“Flight safety is a basic human right and should not be compromised by political factors. [Rejecting Taiwan’s attendance] is an unreasonable treatment and oppression, to which we are here expressing our gravest regret and disappointment,” the premier said.
Lin said the ICAO’s Air Transport Monthly Monitor since July last year has listed Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport as “Taipei, CN (TPE)” rather than “Taipei, TW (TPE)” as it was previously.
The Central News Agency said that ICAO secretary-general Fang Liu (柳芳), a Chinese national, took over the position in August last year.
Lee Kun-tse said China obstructed Taiwan’s participation and has compromised aviation safety by insisting on its “one China” political framework.
“Yes, that is probably the case, but I have to emphasize that this move is a mistake,” Lin said.
Mainland Affairs Council Minister Katharine Chang (張小月) said that as early as Aug. 4, a day after Taiwan sent a letter of willingness to participate in the event to the ICAO president, “the MAC told [its Chinese counterpart] that it is Taiwan’s right and obligation to take part in international organizations with no strings attached and tried to negotiate over [ICAO attendance] with it, but unfortunately, our olive branch failed to receive a positive response.”
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Javier Hou (侯清山) said the ministry had been planning to participate at the meeting since the beginning of the year.
“Our allies and friends had sent letters to the ICAO president, voicing their support, while some did so face-to-face,” he said.
Hou said that the nation’s international participation would require “domestic and international support, and a stable cross-strait relationship.”
When asked how the MAC would prepare for obstructions that might be initiated by China, Chang said that Beijing should be reminded of the “damage it would cause to Taiwanese’s feelings toward China and to the cross-strait relationship.”
“I sincerely call on China to free itself of the burden of history and engage in communication with an open attitude to solve cross-strait issues,” she said.
Lee Kun-tse said Taiwan attended the ICAO meeting in 2013 as a “guest, not even an observer.”
“The invitation sent from ICAO every year has not been an institutionalized arrangement, but an invitation from the [ICAO] president, which has given China the chance to elicit whatever it wishes from Taiwan every time,” he said.
Meanwhile, the New Power Party in a news release called on the government to draft a new strategy for facing China, including using the name “Taiwan” to address the world.
The “extreme self-restraint” exercised since the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) took office in May has had “no effect,” with China stepping up international pressure across the board, the party said.
“Soft earth only gets dug into more deeply,” the party said. “If you just make one retreat after another, you will only get backed into a corner.”
Additional reporting by Abraham Gerber
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus yesterday issued a rebuttal to former US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, who said a fistfight in the Legislative Yuan might have been “provoked from the outside” to destabilize Taiwan. Rice made the comment in an online discussion about the AUKUS alliance of Australia, the UK and the US hosted by the Policy Exchange forum in London on Thursday. On mention of Taiwan, she was quoted by The Australian as predicting that Beijing would use paramilitary forces and acts of sabotage to destabilize the nation. “There was a fistfight in the Taiwanese parliament a few weeks ago
A Taiwanese YouTuber suspected of creating and selling deepfake porn videos featuring more than 100 politicians and influencers was on Monday released on bail after being arrested the previous day. Chu Yu-chen (朱玉宸), 26, who uses the name Xiaoyu (小玉) on YouTube, was arrested on Sunday in New Taipei City, along with two suspected accomplices, a 24-year-old YouTuber surnamed Yeh (耶), known as Shaiw Shaiw (笑笑), and a 22-year-old man Chuang (莊). The three suspects were on Monday escorted to the New Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office for further questioning on suspicion of distributing obscene videos and publicly insulting others, in contravention of
ADVANCING TECH: With revenue on target to reach US$15.4 billion, the Hsinchu-based chipmaker said it is looking to produce 3-nanometer chips later this year Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) yesterday announced plans to build a new plant in Japan next year to produce 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer chips in its latest effort to expand its global manufacturing footprint. The Japanese fab is to start operations in 2024, the world’s biggest contract chipmaker said, ending months of speculation. “We have received strong commitment to supporting this project from our customers and the Japanese government,” TSMC chief executive officer C.C. Wei (魏哲家) told a quarterly investors’ conference. “We believe the expansion of our global manufacturing footprint will enable us to better serve our customers’ needs and reach global talent,
KNOWN ISSUES: Fire safety issues were found in the 40-year-old building, which previously housed a theater and restaurants, in 2019, last year and May, an official said Forty-six people died and 41 were injured in a building fire that raged out of control for hours overnight in Kaohsiung, authorities said yesterday. Flames and smoke billowed from the lower floors of the 13-story Cheng Chung Cheng (城中城) building on Fubei Road in Yancheng District (鹽埕), as firefighters tried to douse the blaze from the street and aerial platforms. The death toll rose steadily through the day as rescue workers searched the combined commercial and residential building. By late afternoon, authorities said 32 bodies had been found, while a further 14 people who showed no signs of life were among 55