The Shilin District Court approved an application by prosecutors for Wang Ching-yu (王景玉), the suspect in the killing of a four-year-old girl in Taipei on Monday, to be detained incommunicado before he was taken to the Taipei Detention Center yesterday morning.
Officials at Shilin District Prosecutors’ Office said they plan to indict the 33-year-old Wang on murder charges, as the judicial investigation continued into the decapitation of the child in front of her mother on a street in Neihu District (內湖).
“There is sufficient evidence against the suspect, surnamed Wang, and due to flight risk and possible tampering with evidence, an application was made to the Shilin District Court for the suspect to be detained incommunicado, which was granted,” a prosecutors’ office statement said.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
It said that prosecutors have contacted executives from the non-governmental Association for Victims Support, which sent representatives to the girl’s home yesterday to offer legal assistance and explain procedures of seeking financial compensation.
The random attack against a toddler has stirred up public debate on issues of safety in public, problems with the nation’s criminal justice system, enforced medical treatment for mental patients and capital punishment.
Wang’s father spoke to reporters yesterday, expressing regret for what happened and saying that he and his family are co-operating with the police on the investigation.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
He offered an apology to the family of the girl, surnamed Liu (劉).
The father also said his son had a history of mental illness and had sought psychiatric treatment at Taipei City Hospital’s Songde Branch, adding that his son had been unemployed for a long time and relied on his parents’ financial support.
Due to the media spotlight on the case and public outrage, Taipei City Police took the unusual step of releasing preliminary details of its background investigation, confirming that Wang had a record of mental health issues, and called on the nation’s health system to improve its management, monitoring and follow-up treatment of patients with serious metal disorders.
Photo: Chiu Yi-tung, Taipei Times
It also tried to dispel erroneous reporting about Wang being a habitual user of narcotics.
“Following our investigation, the suspect had only been found in possession of amphetamines in 2006, and he does not have any record of narcotic drug use since then,” according to a statement by the Criminal Investigation Division of Taipei City Police Department.
The Liu family yesterday conducted a Taoist “calling of the soul” ceremony for the young girl at the site where she was killed.
Photo: Taipei Times
The site was lined with with flowers, cards, written messages and other gifts to console the family and to express grief over the murder.
Liu’s mother on Facebook asked the public not to use her daughter’s case to discuss the appropriateness of the abolition of the death penalty.
She also posted a letter in memory for her daughter, in which she wrote: “I really tried hard to pull the offender off you, I really tried to... but you were done. I really wish I could recall something of you, recall our love, recall something, to know that you were worth living. I really miss you.”
The White Rose Social Care Association is planning to hold a mass rally in Taipei on April 9 to push for enforcement of capital punishment in the wake of the crime.
“This kind of random killing shows that Taiwan cannot afford to abolish the death penalty,” association chairwoman Eva Liang (梁毓芳) said. “As Taiwan seldom enforces death sentences now, criminals are not afraid and similar crimes keep happening.
Additional reporting by AFP
SAFETY RISK: The government is working to categorize countries based on their COVID-19 cases and prevention efforts, which would determine quarantine periods The government plans to rank countries based on their COVID-19 risks to determine how to treat tourists and other travelers from those nations once Taiwan reopens its borders, but it is still working out the categories, a top health official told lawmakers yesterday. “We would divide countries around the world into several categories. One category would comprise those countries with very few confirmed COVID-19 cases, such as New Zealand and Palau. Travelers from the countries in this category would only need to practice self-health management,” Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥) told a Legislative Yuan seminar hosted by
China would attack Taiwan if there is no other way of stopping it from becoming independent, Chinese General Li Zuocheng (李作成) said yesterday. Speaking at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People on the 15th anniversary of China’s “Anti-Secession” Law, Li, who is chief of the Joint Staff Department of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Central Military Commission, left the door open to using force. The 2005 law is China’s legislative basis for military action against Taiwan. “If the possibility for peaceful reunification is lost, the people’s armed forces will, with the whole nation, including the people of Taiwan, take all necessary steps to
SECURITY CONCERNS: The Telecom Technology Center ran black-box tests for the Executive Yuan on devices and software from Chinese, US and South Korean firms Network devices from several Chinese manufacturers are insecure and allow personal information to be leaked, testing commissioned by the Executive Yuan has shown. A variety of devices and software, including apps, from Chinese, US and South Korean manufacturers that are used by government agencies at the central and local level were subjected to black-box testing — in which the functionality of an application is examined without knowing about its internal structure, an information-security official said yesterday on condition of anonymity. The Telecom Technology Center conducted the tests, which simulated cyberattacks, to determine their resilience to the attacks, the official said. The center
RELATIONSHIP ‘TERMINATED’: US Speaker Nancy Pelosi said that the president’s action was ‘an act of extraordinary senselessness,’ a tone Chinese media echoed US President Donald Trump on Friday announced that Washington would withdraw funding from the WHO, end Hong Kong’s special trade status and suspend visas of Chinese graduate students suspected of conducting research on behalf of their government. Trump said in a White House announcement that Chinese officials “ignored” their reporting obligations to the WHO and pressured the organization to mislead the public about the outbreak. “We have detailed the reforms that it must make and engaged with them directly, but they have refused to act,” he said. “Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will be