A subcontractor that allegedly broke the law in the surprise partial demolition of the Agenna Shipyard in Keelung said that it planned to repurpose the area to enhance the city’s tourism beltway, with the demolition taking place to remove buildings that posed a threat to the public.
The shipyard was recently brought to public attention due to the 2014 filming of a trailer for Call of Duty Online, part of the first-person shooting game franchise Call of Duty, starring US actor Chris Evans, who is best known for his portrayal of the lead role in the Captain America movie franchise.
The subcontractor, which leased the land from Taiwan Sugar Co (Taisugar, 台糖) in 2008, allegedly violated Article 86 of the Building Act (建築法) when it moved two excavators to the site on Monday afternoon to remove the ruins.
Photo: Lin Hsin-han, Taipei Times
Article 86-3 stipulates that the unauthorized removal of buildings can result in a maximum fine of NT$10,000.
The subcontractor’s representative, Hsu Shu-ming (許書銘), said it had conducted inspections of the ruins and deemed them too old to be directly repurposed, adding that the demolition was aimed at making the area safer, especially following the magnitude 6.4 earthquake on Feb. 6.
The original plan was to keep the shipyard and open a theme restaurant nearby, but the ruins, while eligible for reinforcing, might have become rotten inside, which would have greatly increased overheads and posed a safety risk, Hsu said, adding that plans were later stalled when the city government was considering building a light-rail system nearby.
Photo: Lin Hsin-han, Taipei Times
Keelung Mayor Lin Yu-chang (林右昌) on Monday night on Facebook condemned the demolition and rejected the notion that the city government had knowledge of the subcontractor’s plans.
Anyone that shows so much disrespect for local buildings and their historical significance should be condemned, Lin said.
Lin said the city government would fine the subcontractor, as it did not apply for a permit to remove or demolish the building.
The city government has also demanded that the subcontractor cease all demolition work and apply for a permit, Lin said, adding that the city would do its utmost to preserve an “important remnant of Keelung’s early industry.”
Although the ruins are on private property, they are still an important part of the city’s history and should be conserved, Lin said, adding with regret that Monday’s abrupt demolition work might have marred the bright future repurposing could have given the shipyard.
However, the shipyard has not been named a historical heritage site and sits on land owned by Taisugar, which obtained it from now-defunct Taiwan Metals Mining Co (台金公司).
Meanwhile, Taisugar department of public relations director Liu Tsung-hsien (劉宗憲) said that the company had made clear to the subcontractor the parameters for development of the site.
There are no plans to develop the land around the shipyard’s ruins, Liu said, adding that Taisugar would release more information after clarifying details with the subcontractor.
The shipyard, next to Heping Bridge (和平橋), which connects Keelung and Heping Island (和平島), was originally owned and used by Japanese companies during the Japanese colonial era to expedite the transportation of gold from the Jinguashih (金瓜石) area in what is now New Taipei City. It derives its name from a US yacht manufacturing firm that had leased the property from Taiwan Metals Mining.
HELPING HAND: Vaccine eligibility can likely be widened to cover pregnant women now that the nation has more vaccine doses than it planned for, Chen Shih-chung said Taiwan yesterday received a shipment of 2.5 million COVID-19 vaccine doses donated by the US, obtaining its largest single batch of vaccines since the COVID-19 pandemic began early last year. A cargo plane of Taiwanese national carrier China Airlines Ltd (中華航空) carrying the Moderna Inc vaccines landed at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at about 4:30pm, after leaving Memphis, Tennessee, early on Saturday, US time. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) and American Institute in Taiwan Director Brent Christensen were at the airport to welcome the plane. The vaccines were transported to a cold chain logistics center, where they would be inspected
‘NO STRINGS ATTACHED’: The US is donating the shots without any political or economic conditions, and with the singular aim of saving lives, a senior US official said The US was yesterday to ship 2.5 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to Taiwan, a senior US administration official told Reuters, more than tripling Washington’s previous allocation of shots for the nation. Washington, competing with Beijing to deepen geopolitical clout through so-called “vaccine diplomacy,” had initially promised to donate 750,000 doses to Taiwan, but is increasing that number as US President Joe Biden’s administration advances its pledge to send 80 million US-made shots around the world. The 2.5 million donated doses of the Moderna Inc vaccine would leave Memphis, Tennessee, on a flight belonging to Taiwan’s national carrier, China Airlines Ltd (中華航空), early
VULNERABLE: The CECC has been moving older infected people or those with underlying health conditions, who were in isolation, to hospitals for better health monitoring The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 75 locally transmitted COVID-19 infections, the lowest daily count since the nationwide level 3 alert was issued last month. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said the 75 local infections are 35 males and 40 females, aged from under five to over 80, and they began experiencing symptoms between June 8 and Sunday. New Taipei City reported 38 cases, followed by Taipei with 22, Taoyuan with five, Miaoli County with three, Keelung and Taichung with two each, and Kaohsiung, Yunlin County and Changhua County with one each, CECC
‘GOAL NOT MET’: The CECC announced the enhanced implementation of six measures, including mandatory testing for some people and precise contact tracing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced that a level 3 COVID-19 alert has been extended by two weeks until July 12, while it reported 104 locally transmitted cases and 24 deaths. The alert was first issued in Taipei and New Taipei City on May 15, and expanded nationwide on May 19. It was originally due to end on Monday next week, but it was extended for the third time yesterday. “The level 3 alert will continue to be implemented until July 12,” Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) told a news conference at noon. “Although the situation has improved