Emergency workers yesterday pulled several survivors from the debris of the collapsed Weiguan Jinlong complex in Tainan’s Yongkang District (永康) as they battled against the clock in the 72-hour “golden time” window after Saturday’s earthquake.
The Weiguan Jinlong complex, which consisted of four buildings with nine residential sections, was toppled by the magnitude 6.4 quake that struck at 3:57am on Saturday.
As of press time last night, four survivors had been rescued from the complex yesterday.
Photo: Ritchie B. Tongo, EPA
A total of 211 people have been rescued from the complex, but at least 120 are still unaccounted for, while the death toll from the quake has climbed to 38 with more than 530 people injured.
An eight-year-old girl, Lin Su-chin (林素琴), and a 28-year-old foreign woman, believed to be Vietnamese, were freed from the fifth floor of the complex’s E section at about 5:30pm.
Hours earlier, rescuers were finally able to extricate a 40-year-old man, named Lee Tsung-tien (李宗典), who had been discovered about 1pm on Sunday.
Photo: Sam Yeh, AFP
Lee’s right hand and both legs were trapped under concrete blocks, making it difficult for rescuers to pull him out.
At one point, paramedics considered amputating his left on the spot because of injuries to the leg. They abandoned the idea after determining that the procedure could subject him to excessive loss of blood or infection and would not guarantee his rescue. Instead, they connected him to an intravenous drip as rescuers continued their efforts to dig him out.
Lee, who remained conscious throughout the ordeal, was rushed to the National Cheng Kung University Hospital after he was extracted.
Photo: Courtesy of the Chiayi County Fire Department
“Lee is conscious and can even call his sister’s name. However, his left leg appears necrotic and is being treated,” Tainan Mayor William Lai (賴清德), a physician, told reporters.
Later in the afternoon, doctors at National Cheng Kung University Hospital amputated Lee’s left leg.
Three members of Lee’s family were still trapped under the debris as of press time. The body of his girlfriend, Huang Ya-ting (黃雅婷), was found after he was extricated.
Photo: Courtesy of Chi Mei Hospital
Rescuers had been cheered early in the day when a 45-year-old woman, identified as Tsao Wei-ling (曹瑋瓴), was rescued about 8am.
“What a miracle,” they cheered.
Emergency workers said they had been trying to rescue Tsao since she, her 45-year-old husband, Hsu Wen-ju (許文儒), and their two-year-old son were located on Sunday morning.
Photo: Tyrone Siu, Reuters
“When the quake occurred, Hsu sought to protect his wife and son with his body, but a beam collapsed and fell on his body. We had to gradually and carefully remove the beam to free the family,” rescuers said.
Hsu and their son died before rescuers reached them.
Tsao reportedly told rescuers after being pulled out that she knew her husband and son had passed away, but was determined to give them a proper burial and that was what had kept her alive.
Photo: Su Meng-chuan, Taipei Times
Tsao, who was severely dehydrated, sustained only minor abrasions on her cheeks and hands and was taken to Chi Mei Hospital.
Five members of Tsao’s family were still trapped under the debris, and Lai said that he had talked with family members about bringing in excavators with shears to help remove some of the bigger pieces of rubble.
“Since rescuers are unable to gain access to the five people still stuck inside the rubble, we explained to the family that our rescue mission cannot proceed unless we bring in crushers and they all understand,” the mayor said.
Lai called on the public not to visit disaster sites in Tainan so that resources do not have to be wasted on dispersing onlookers.
Later in the day he went to the South District Funeral Parlor to pay tribute to the victims.
“Our rescue operation has entered phase three. Unfortunately, we have found more victims than survivors,” Lai said.
Lai said he has instructed city agencies to establish a service center at the funeral parlor to provide assistance to families of the victims and people affected by the disaster, including helping family members with the identification and preservation of bodies and funeral arrangements, assigning social workers to comfort survivors and victims’ families, and ensuring a proper funeral for those with no surviving family member.
He thanked all those who have offered assistance and support in the aftermath of the quake.
In related news, president-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) visited Tainan and promised to stand with the city’s residents.
“This is the moment when we must all stand together. We will not let Tainan stand alone, because right now every one of us is a resident of Tainan, and we will push forward together,” she said, calling on everyone to pray for the city.
Tsai, who is also the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) chairperson, said that the Legislative Yuan, in which the DPP holds the majority of seats, and DPP-controlled cities and counties would do everything in their power to aid rescue and rebuilding efforts.
Vice president-elect Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁), a Catholic, attended Mass at Taipei’s Holy Family Cathedral to pray for the victims and their families, rescue workers and others.
Additional reporting by Abraham Gerber and Hung Jui-chin
NOT BUYING IT: One of the goals of Beijing’s Cross-Strait Media People Summit was to draw mainstream media executives to discuss the ‘one country, two systems’ formula Taiwanese news media insist on press freedom and professionalism, and would never become a tool of China’s “united front” campaign, Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) said yesterday, responding to media queries about the lack of Taiwanese media executives at the Cross-Strait Media People Summit in Beijing. Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) Chairman Wang Huning (王滬寧) was reportedly furious that no Taiwanese media representatives attended a scheduled meeting with him on Thursday last week. “Beijing should take Taiwan’s determination to pursue freedom and democracy seriously. We also hope that it will not use vicious means to interfere with Taiwan’s development into a
IMMIGRATION REFORM: The legislative amendments aim to protect the rights of families to reunify, and to attract skilled professionals to stay and work in Taiwan Foreigners who are highly skilled professionals, top-prize winners in professional disciplines, investment immigration applicants or have made special contributions to Taiwan can soon apply for permanent residency on behalf of their spouses and minor or disabled children after the legislature approved amendments to the Immigration Act (入出國及移民法). The amendments, which were proposed by the Ministry of the Interior and approved by the Executive Yuan on Jan. 12, aim to attract foreign talent to Taiwan and encourage them to stay. They would take effect once they are signed by President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文). The amendments involved changing 63 articles, making it the biggest
FIRST STEP: Business groups in Taiwan welcomed the deal, which does not include tariff reductions at this stage, as they called for the elimination of double taxation Taiwan and the US yesterday signed an initial agreement under the US-Taiwan Initiative on 21st-Century Trade. The agreement was signed yesterday morning by Representative to the US Hsiao Bi-khim (蕭美琴) and American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) Managing Director Ingrid Larson in Washington, the Office of Trade Negotiations in Taipei said. The ceremony was witnessed by Minister Without Portfolio John Deng (鄧振中) and Deputy US Trade Representative Sarah Bianchi. Taiwan and the US started talks under the initiative in August last year, after Taipei was left out of the Washington-led Indo-Pacific Economic Framework. “The deal that will be signed tonight is not only very historic,
Beijing yesterday blamed US “provocation” for an incident last week in which a Chinese plane crossed in front of a US surveillance aircraft over the South China Sea. The incident came at a time of frayed ties between Washington and Beijing over issues including Taiwan and the shooting down of an alleged Chinese spy balloon that flew over the US this year. “The United States’ long-term and frequent sending of ships and planes to conduct close surveillance on China seriously harms China’s national sovereignty and security,” Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Mao Ning (毛寧) said when asked about the latest incident. “This