German police yesterday lifted an alert of an imminent attack in Munich, hours after evacuating two key train stations over fears terrorists were planning a New Year suicide bomb assault.
Officials had said they were tipped off about a plot by the Islamic State group to strike at the southern German city shortly before midnight as Europe prepared to ring in the New Year in an atmosphere of unprecedented security.
European capitals have been on high alert since November last year, when terrorists slaughtered 130 people in a series of gun and suicide attacks in Paris, stoking fears the Islamic State group could stage further attacks over the Christmas and New Year holidays.
Photo: EPA
However, German investigators, acting on information from a foreign intelligence service, said they have so far failed to substantiate the threat.
“Overall, I would say that the situation for Munich is as it was before this threat of attack,” Munich Police Chief Hubertus Andrae told journalists yesterday.
Investigators had in hand the names of some of the “five to seven” suspects allegedly planning to blow themselves up at locations that included Munich’s main railway hub and Pasing Station in the western part of the city, he said, but have not yet found any evidence.
“We have examined data relating to these names, but at the moment, we do not know if these names are correct, whether these people exist and where they are,” he said, adding that the suspects were allegedly from Iraq and Syria.
A large deployment of 550 police officers overnight had been reduced to 100 yesterday and Andrae urged the public to “live as you did before.”
Nevertheless, the police chief refuted speculation that the threat was a false alarm, saying: “If there is such information, we have to act.”
German Minister of the Interior Thomas de Maiziere thanked Bavarian authorities for their action, warning in a statement that the security situation in Europe and Germany “remains serious in the New Year.”
“Security agencies continue to expect a high threat stemming from international terrorism,” he said.
Just over an hour before the New Year, police ordered the evacuation of the two stations due to a possible “terror attack,” issuing alerts via Twitter in several languages.
Rail services at both stations were immediately suspended and police urged the public to avoid large gatherings.
Both stations later reopened at about 3:30am.
Regional broadcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk said the suspects were seven Iraqis living in Munich, who were allegedly planning to work in pairs and blow themselves up at the two stations, as well as other parts of the city.
Germany had been tipped off by both US and French authorities, it said.
The alert brought an eerie silence to Munich’s busy railway hub, which over the summer made headlines for the massive turnout of volunteers welcoming record numbers of refugees to Germany.
Police, including some in riot gear, were stationed overnight at the entrances to the station. Revelers seeking to access the site were turned away.
Meanwhile across Europe, celebrations went ahead as planned, but under the watchful eye of thousands of police and security forces.
With fears of a fresh attack high, both France and Belgium scrapped the traditional New Year fireworks displays in their respective capitals, with Brussels saying it had information about an alleged plot to attack “emblematic sites” over the holiday.
Ahead of the celebrations, Belgian police carried out several raids in Brussels and Liege in connection with the alleged plot, with five people still in custody yesterday morning. All five denied the allegations.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary