Gunshots were fired by rival gangs in downtown Kaohsiung yesterday morning, with a stray bullet hitting a breakfast restaurant clerk, but luckily the injury was not life-threatening and he was treated at a local hospital.
According to a preliminary police investigation, the shooting was related to a dispute between two Kaohsiung gangs who operate nightclubs and prostitution services.
The vice squad said the dispute was between two groups of about 10 gang members in four vehicles.
All the cars gathered near a gas station on Boai 1st Road (博愛一路) after apparently agreeing to meet and negotiate in the area, Kaohsiung Criminal Investigation Department head Tseng Ming-chung (曾銘忠) said.
Tseng said police are trying to track down a known dangerous gangster surnamed Huang (黃), who witnesses said was carrying a handgun and started the shooting yesterday morning.
Both sides arrived for the “negotiation” carrying wooden bats and clubs, and it appeared that Huang was the only person who arrived with a firearm.
Witnesses described hearing a quarrel, before a man jumped out of a car with a baseball bat and hit the side of another car and broke its windows, before the cars sped away.
A silver sedan tried to lose a pursuing vehicle by making a U-turn, but it got stuck on the road’s median divider and all the occupants transferred to a black car, witnesses said.
Huang was then seen firing six shots at the silver sedan.
The car chase continued along Dashun Road (大順路), where witnesses said Huang leaned out of his vehicle and fired two shots at the rival gang’s cars. He missed and a stray bullet struck an 18-year-old employee of a soybean milk breakfast store on the right arm.
The teenager was later taken to a local hospital for medical treatment.
Kaohsiung police officials said they have formed a task force to handle the case and are trying to track down several suspects, as well as following up on leads.
Tseng told reporters that the “negotiation” could have been about a prostitute, who recently jumped ship from one gang to another, resulting in a dispute over compensation.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats