Banks said that they hope the Taipei City Government can “coach” Farglory Group (遠雄集團) to produce a follow-up Taipei Dome safety plan, according to Deputy Taipei Mayor Teng Chia-chi (鄧家基).
The banks’ stance belies Farglory’s position that the terms of the contract under which it borrowed construction funds should restrict the results of ongoing negotiations with the city, Teng said after a meeting yesterday.
The city and Farglory have been locked in conflict over the build-operate-transfer project’s contract and site safety since January.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
The city government yesterday held an initial “information session” with the banks behind the Taipei Dome’s syndicated loan.
“Even though financing institutions are not included in the [Dome] contract, their loans mean that they have a large stake in the project,” Teng said.
He said that city departments had made several presentations to banking representatives to ensure that they had “first-hand” information on city policy.
“There is a possibility that in the future our partnership can continue to be pushed forward and expanded,” he said.
The possible contractual influence of any new Dome safety plan should be considered only after Farglory presents an initial draft, he said, rejecting as “conjecture” and “misunderstandings” rumors that the city has sought to use lenders to pressure Farglory.
Teng added that the city governement could hold meetings with Farglory as soon as next week.
The city asked Farglory’s lenders to take over Dome site management earlier this month.
Teng said the banks were so far reluctant to take on the project, but would hold internal discussions.
Songshan Tree Protection Volunteer Union members who protested outside City Hall before the meeting said the meeting showed Farglory was being treated with undue leniency.
Union policy director Arthur Yo (游藝) said that requesting the banks to take over the project amounted to a de facto “extension” of the Dome’s deadline, adding that the city should dissolve Farglory’s contract.
“The city government could dissolve Farglory’s contract now, but they want to ease the situation and find a way to extricate the Dome,” Yo said.
If the banks take over the project, Farglory would have an additional six months to complete the project free from city interference, he said.
That would mean city-imposed construction restrictions would have to be dropped, he said.
Given that the Dome is largely completed save for the exterior and some interior finishing, Farglory would likely be able to finish within six months, forestalling any city attempt to dissolve the contract, Yo said.
While accusations that safety is being compromised have served to rally public support, they are not founded on existing safety regulations, so failure to complete the Dome on time is the only clear grounds for dissolving Farglory’s contract, he added.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary