President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday demanded that the Ministry of National Defense review discipline within the military in the wake of a security lapse at a military base in Taoyuan where Apache helicopters are stationed.
Presidential Office spokesman Charles Chen (陳以信) said Ma has always emphasized the importance of maintaining military discipline and is “highly concerned” about the recent incident, which has negatively affected the military’s image.
Chen said Ma has asked the defense ministry to launch an immediate review of certain procedures within the military.
Minister of National Defense Kao Kuang-chi (高廣圻) yesterday expressed anger at the “dereliction of duties and brazen flaunting of regulations” by military officials over the Apache tour incident and ordered all armed forces units to conduct disciplinary review meetings today.
601st Air Cavalry Brigade Lieutenant Colonel Lao Nai-cheng (勞乃成) on March 29 took a group of 26 relatives and friends, including a Japanese man and five foreign domestic helpers and caregivers, on a tour of his restricted military base in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭), which houses US-made AH-64 attack helicopters.
The incident came to light after one of the visitors, television personality Janet Lee (李蒨蓉), posted four photographs of the visit on Facebook, drawing media criticism of military security.
Kao convened a meeting to discuss Lao’s case yesterday, which was attended by senior military brass from the main armed forces command headquarters.
Lao allegedly tried to cover up facts about the incident, including the total number of people that were involved and the presence of six foreign nationals in the group.
“During last week’s initial investigation by the Army Logistics Command, the military officials took Lao’s words at face value, and did not investigate more thoroughly. What Lao did has severely damaged the image of our armed forces in the public’s eyes,” Kao said.
Kao said that a recent string of scandals highlighted serious disciplinary problems among soldiers and officers in the armed forces. These included reports of a male superior sexually harassing female subordinates on outlying Dongyin Island (東引島), an army major harassing female soldiers in an armored brigade in Kaohsiung and alcohol-fueled parties at a naval-base barracks.
During the meeting, Kao ordered the ministry to organize a special task force to investigate Lao’s conduct and violations of military regulations arising from the case, to be composed of staff from the ministry’s Inspector-General’s Office, Ethics Office and Political Warfare Bureau.
“The task force will be responsible for carrying out a thorough investigation of this case, to uncover the facts of the matter. We will not tolerate breaches of regulation by any officer,” Kao said.
“We must enforce regulations and disciplinary measures. It is time to dismiss those who are not suited for a career in the military,” he added.
The ministry said Lao is to receive a major demerit for taking a NT$2 million (US$63,891) integrated helmet and display sight system, used for operating the Apache helicopters, and a full flight suit to a Halloween party in October last year.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘LOCAL TRANSMISSION’: The nation reported 11 new cases, including seven local infections in the north, the highest daily number of cases since the pandemic began The COVD-19 situation has entered the “local transmission” stage and enhanced disease prevention measures have been implemented until June 8, the Central Epidemic Command Center announced yesterday as it reported six locally transmitted cases with unclear infection sources. The center reported 11 new cases yesterday: four imported cases from India, and seven local infections in northern Taiwan, the highest daily number of cases since the COVID-19 pandemic began. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that one of the local infections — case No. 1,201 — is a woman who is a family member living with
SIXTEEN LOCAL: Three COVID-19 infections are linked to a cluster at a gambling house in Yilan County, 10 to a case in New Taipei City and three had unclear sources The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday urged people to increase vigilance and thoroughly practice preventive measures against COVID-19 as it reported 16 locally transmitted cases of the disease. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 21 cases were confirmed in Taiwan yesterday: 16 local cases, four imported cases and one case undetermined. The locally transmitted cases are three linked to a cluster of infections at a gambling house in Yilan County, 10 associated with a previous case in New Taipei City and three with unclear sources of infection. The CECC on Tuesday reported a cluster
‘DOWN TO ZERO 2.0’: All pilots are to undergo quarantine at government centers, while cabin crew on long-haul flights have to quarantine for 14 days The Central Epidemic Command Center yesterday announced stricter measures to contain a COVID-19 outbreak among China Airlines (華航) flight crew, as the nature of the confirmed cases indicated an unknown chain of transmission within the airline. The “Down to Zero 2.0” plan will be tough on China Airlines personnel, but is necessary to minimize the risk to society, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center. Under the measures, all China Airlines pilots and copilots are to be recalled to undergo quarantine at government centers, while cabin crew who are returning from long-haul flights or who have
GRID PROBLEM: A Taipower spokesman said that the blackouts were not due to usage exceeding supply, nor were they because of a problem at the Singda plant There were rolling blackouts across Taiwan yesterday due to a grid malfunction at the Singda Power Plant (興達電廠) in Kaohsiung’s Yongan District (永安), while Taiwan Power Co (Taipower, 台電) said that it was working “as hard as possible to resolve the issue as soon as possible.” At 2:37pm, a malfunction at an ultra-high-voltage substation in Kaohsiung’s Lujhu District (路竹) triggered four generators at the Singda plant to go offline, cutting power output by 2.2 million kilowatts and prompting Taipower to initiate rolling blackouts nationwide as it worked on the problem. Taipower spokesman Chang Ting-shu (張廷抒) told a news conference in Taipei that