Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Minister Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) yesterday offered his resignation after prosecutors decided not to indict former deputy minister Chang Hsien-yao (張顯耀) on charges of leaking confidential information to China, despite Wang’s testimony that he had done so.
The Taipei Prosecutors’ Office announced earlier in the day that it had closed the case because there was not enough evidence to support the allegations.
“After a thorough investigation over the past five months, there was insufficient evidence to indicate Chang Hsien-yao had revealed to the Chinese government our government’s bargaining priorities and bottom-line conditions [on negotiations],” the office said in a statement
Photo: Chien Jung-feng, Taipei Times
The information allegedly leaked consisted of normal documents and information on visitors’ itineraries and could not be construed as secret information, the office said.
Although Wang had testified that he was told by Taiwanese businesspeople in China that “Chang Hsien-yao was close to Chinese officials and that problems could occur in the future,” prosecutors said they could not indict Chang Hsien-yao or others simply on “hearsay.”
Chang Hsien-yao has denied allegations that he used his secretary Chang Su-ling (張素玲) and assistant Chen Hung-yi (陳宏義), who also worked for the E-United Group (義聯集團), to make telephone calls and send text messages and e-mails to provide information to Beijing between June 2012 and February last year.
Wang called a news conference at 12:30pm to voice his disapproval of the prosecutors’ decision. Repeatedly saying that he found the rationale for not indicting Chang Hsien-yao “unacceptable,” Wang said Chang had engaged in the “inappropriate divulging of information.”
The prosecutors’ statement showed that they had evidence with regard to his accusation, Wang said, without elaborating.
“Chang Hsien-yao might have acted in a way that shielded him from legal liability, but as a prominent political appointee responsible for handling cross-strait issues, what he did overstepped the bounds of propriety,” Wang said.
Pressed by reporters, Wang refused to say what information had allegedly been leaked and to whom.
He only said Chang Hsien-yao passed classified documents to China via a Taiwanese businessperson who has investments in China before the two sides were about to start negotiations on that issue. He said the businessperson had told him about the handovers in the first half of last year, but that he did not take the information seriously because of a lack of evidence.
It was not until late July last year that he mentioned the allegations to then-National Security Council secretary-general King Pu-tsung (金溥聰), who informed him days later that the national security agencies had corroborated the information, Wang said.
Wang said he disagreed with the prosecutors’ view that Chang Hsien-yao had not intended to reveal confidential information when he asked his driver, surnamed Lee (李), Chen and Chang Su-ling to keep the information he gave them in both paper and electronic forms.
“The Mainland Affairs Council has determined that the information was classified, but the prosecutors said it was not. Could it be that we might just as well give such information to China in the future? It does not make any sense that prosecutors did not consider divulging state secrets to people in the private sector to be illegal,” Wang said.
Wang said that he had no regrets over how he had handled the case and if he had to do it all over again, he would act the same way, even if it meant he would have to resign himself.
The Executive Yuan announced on Aug. 16 last year that Chang had resigned for “family reasons.”
However, the following day Chang issued a statement that said he had been forced to resign. The council then announced that he was being investigated for violating the National Security Act (國家安全法) for allegedly leaking information to China and that it had turned the case over to the prosecutors.
Meanwhile, Presidential Office spokesperson Ma Wei-kuo (馬瑋國) said the office stood by Wang in his handling of the case and had no further comments.
Sources said that former Straits Exchange Foundation vice chairman Kao Koong-lian (高孔廉) could succeed Wang if the minister’s resignation is accepted.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) deputy caucus whip Liao Kuo-tung (廖國棟) said that it would be inappropriate for the caucus to comment on Wang’s offer to resign.
“It is true that Wang [vowed to step down if Chang Hsien-yao was not prosecuted], but what the Cabinet needs now is stability. I hope he would take the overall picture into consideration,” Liao said. “This is not the time for anyone to leave [the Cabinet].”
KMT Legislator Wu Yu-sheng (吳育昇) downplayed rumors that Wang wanted to resign because he was also tired of dealing with the controversy over China’s declaration of new aviation routes over the Taiwan Strait and the cancelation of a scheduled meeting with China’s Taiwan Affairs Office Minister Zhang Zhijun (張志軍).
“He resigned purely over the decision not to prosecute. If he did not resign, I think, President Ma and King [who resigned last week] would be the ones to face repercussions. He [Wang] is acting as a firewall,” Wu said.
Additional reporting by Jason Pan, Alison Hsiao and Wang Yu-chung
COMMUNICATION: A US representative said that Starshield is inactive in and around Taiwan, which could put US military personnel at risk in the Western Pacific in a conflict Space Exploration Technologies Corp (SpaceX) might have contravened its Pentagon contract by not providing access to its satellite communication network Starshield in and around Taiwan, a letter from a US House of Representatives committee to the company said. In September last year, the US Department of Defense awarded SpaceX a one-year contract for Starshield access, worth US$100 million. A few months before that, the Pentagon also commissioned SpaceX’s Starlink satellite network to be used by Ukrainian forces amid Russia’s invasion. Starshield is a derivative of Starlink intended for military use. SpaceX has long worked closely with the US military and intelligence agencies, which
SEEKING CALM: The US called for maintaining the ‘status quo,’ while the Ministry of National Defense said it would not bolster defenses in the area to avoid raising tensions Taiwanese should have greater faith in the government’s investigation into the capsizing of a Chinese vessel that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said yesterday, adding that Taiwan abides by the rule of law. On Wednesday last week, a Chinese speedboat was spotted trespassing in “prohibited” waters within 1.1 nautical miles (2km) of the east coast of Kinmen. It fled after refusing the coast guard’s request to board the vessel, setting off a chase that led to the boat capsizing, with two Chinese fishers dying. Two survivors were deported back to China
KINMEN: Coast guards on both sides of the Taiwan Strait should prohibit the entry of illegal vessels into ‘restricted’ waters to uphold maritime safety, Chen Chien-jen said Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) yesterday called for both sides of the Taiwan Strait to approach the security of Kinmen and Xiamen waters with rationality and equitability, following a boat chase that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week. Chen was responding to media inquiries ahead of a legislative session amid rising cross-strait tensions following the capsizing of a Chinese speedboat off the east coast of Kinmen on Wednesday last week during a pursuit by the Taiwanese coast guard. The Ministry of National Defense established the boundaries of “prohibited” and “restricted” waters around Kinmen in 1992 to better protect
GREAT EXPECTATIONS: TSMC founder Morris Chang said he has high hopes for the new fab, based on his experience in Japan 56 years earlier, and amid high demand for AI Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) yesterday held an opening ceremony for its first chip manufacturing fab in Kumamoto, Japan, which it hopes will improve chip supply resilience and help Japan usher in a semiconductor renaissance. The Kumamoto fab is slated to enter volume production in the fourth quarter of this year. The Japanese government said it would extend its financial support of the project to include the construction of a second factory, as TSMC’s investment is crucial to its efforts to revive its semiconductor industry. The Kumamoto fab is owned by a joint venture, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), which