Keelung City Council Speaker Huang Ching-tai (黃景泰) yesterday said he would still run in the city’s mayoral race, regardless of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) withdrawing its nomination of him as its candidate.
The KMT had “failed to distinguish right from wrong,” he said yesterday morning.
The party on Wednesday said it was withdrawing Huang’s nomination after approving a member’s motion calling for him to be replaced because of concern that his alleged involvement in corruption would damage the party’s election prospects.
Photo: Lu Hsien-hsiu, Taipei Times
It cited Huang’s “tarnished reputation” and declining public support in several opinion polls.
Huang is facing allegations of influence peddling and bribery in a number of construction projects. He was released on NT$2 million (US$66,790) bail last month. If he had been detained, he could have lost his KMT membership.
However, Huang said he is determined to run for Keelung mayor “to help the pan-blue camp secure the only region that [could claim] victory in the Greater Taipei area.”
“I am forever a friend of the KMT, and I want to voice my support for [KMT Taipei mayoral candidate] Sean Lien (連勝文), who is now behind in the polls,” Huang said.
He said that he would “mobilize at least 50,000 voters” to offer their signatures in support of him continuing his campaign before noon on Friday next week.
“I have spent 20 years working for local residents and I believe the number of my supporters significantly exceeds the number of votes needed for a candidate to be elected,” he said.
Huang also thanked prosecutors for “clarifying the source of the NT$5 million [cash found in his office] and the NT$2 million from the KMT, which were campaign funds from friends and political donations respectively.”
“The influence peddling allegations have been misdirected, as it is unquestionable that representatives are supposed to, within legal bounds, safeguard people’s rights,” he said.
Asked whether he was upset about the KMT’s decision, Huang accused the party of not being able to distinguish right from wrong and violating its own regulations on nominations and procedural justice.
He also called on the KMT to “be consistent in upholding its standards” — after reporters mentioned KMT Miaoli County commissioner candidate Hsu Yao-chang (徐耀昌), who has been sentenced to nine years in prison, and KMT Taitung County Commissioner Justin Huang (黃健庭), who is seeking re-election and against whom prosecutors are seeking a 10-year prison term.
KMT spokesperson Charles Chen (陳以信) responded to Huang Ching-tai’s criticism by saying that there has been “no problem concerning the procedure [withdrawal of his nomination].”
Chen said the party’s resolution was simply about the withdrawal, and did not “pertain to [his] party membership or his innocence.”
“The party has never employed double standards when it comes to party discipline,” Chen said. “Any member who has been found guilty of corruption will be punished.”
However, Chen did not comment on Hsu’s and Justin Huang’s cases.
Meanwhile, Hsu said his case was “different from Huang Ching-tai’s,” and said the Keelung speaker had lost the party’s nomination due to the KMT’s evaluation of his election prospects.
“[Huang’s] 18 percent support in the opinion polls cannot compare to my 56 percent,” Hsu said.
The party is reportedly eyeing KMT Legislator Hsieh Kuo-liang (謝國樑) to run for Keelung mayor even though the lawmaker has said he has no intention to do so.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), who is also KMT chairman, summoned Hsieh for a talk yesterday. At press time, there was no further information about the meeting.
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Tuesday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
CHINA’S VERSION: The TAO threatened Taiwan and denied the existence of restricted waters around Kinmen County after two Chinese died fleeing the Taiwanese coast guard Taiwan would continue to enforce the law in restricted waters around Kinmen County, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday. The council was responding after China’s Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) spokeswoman Zhu Fenglian (朱鳳蓮) on Saturday rejected the existence of restricted waters around Kinmen County — a group of Taiwanese islands close to China’s coast — and said that Beijing reserves the right to take further measures after two Chinese died in the area. The two died on Wednesday after the speedboat they were in capsized while they were being pursued by Taiwanese Coast Guard Administration (CGA) officials. The speedboat had entered