Top seeds Hsieh Su-wei (謝淑薇) of Taiwan and China’s Peng Shuai (彭帥) battled through to the semi-finals of the Mutua Madrid Open women’s doubles on Thursday, a win that secured the Taiwanese player a share of the world No. 1 ranking.
In the quarter-finals at the Spanish capital’s Caja Magica, Hsieh and Peng took on fifth seeds Cara Black of Zimbabwe and India’s Sania Mirza, whom they had lost to in the semi-finals in Tokyo last year, but eventually beat in March to win the final in Indian Wells, California.
The cross-strait duo rallied from 5-2 down in the first set, but ultimately lost the set 5-7. They then quickly grabbed a 5-0 lead in the second set and shortly thereafter forced a deciding super tiebreak.
Photo: AFP
After going down 3-0, they staged a rally and went on to a 5-7, 6-1, 10-8 victory — improving to 17-4 on clay and confirming Hsieh’s elevation to the No. 1 ranking.
“We played well in the first set and even better in the second,” Peng told the WTA Web site. “In the tiebreak, both teams played really well and we had some amazing points. They are a great team. We’re really happy to win.”
The victory confirmed that Hsieh will be ranked joint world No. 1 in Monday’s new WTA Tour doubles rankings.
Earlier this year, Peng became the first Chinese player ever to hold a world No. 1 ranking, male or female, singles or doubles, and now Hsieh will achieve the same feat for Taiwan.
“It is a great accomplishment for Hsieh Su-wei to join Peng Shuai as coworld No. 1s,” WTA Tour chief executive Stacey Allaster said of Thursday’s announcement. “Not only are Hsieh and Peng a great doubles team, but they are an inspiration to the fans throughout the Asia-Pacific region.”
“Reaching No. 1 in the world is a great feeling,” Hsieh told the WTA Web site. “We have been working really hard as a team. I was very proud of Peng reaching No. 1 earlier this year and now I am happy we can share it.”
Hsieh and Peng have won 11 WTA Tour doubles titles together and are unbeaten in finals.
Next up for Hsieh and Peng are the surprise pairing of the tournament, Garbine Muguruza and Carla Suarez Navarro.
The Spanish duo’s latest victory was a narrow 2-6, 7-5, 10-8 defeat of US pairing Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears.
Also making it through to the semi-finals were second seeds and 2012 Madrid champions Italian duo Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci, who had a 7-5, 6-3 win over Vania King of the US and China’s Zheng Jie (鄭潔).
They were due to face Spain’s Anabel Medina Garrigues and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan, who were the 6-4, 6-2 winners over defending champions Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia and Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats