Demonstrators attacked the US embassies in Yemen and Egypt yesterday in protest at a film they consider blasphemous to Islam, while US warships headed to Libya after the death of the US ambassador there in related violence earlier this week.
Hundreds of demonstrators broke through the main gate of the heavily fortified compound in eastern Sana’a, shouting: “We sacrifice ourselves for you, Messenger of God.”
Earlier they smashed windows of security offices outside the embassy and burned cars.
Photo: AFP
“We can see a fire inside the compound and security forces are firing in the air. The demonstrators are fleeing and then charging back,” one witness said.
A security source said at least 15 people were wounded, some by bullets. An embassy spokesman said its personnel were reported to be safe.
In Egypt, protesters hurled stones at a police cordon around the US embassy in central Cairo after climbing into the embassy and tearing down the US flag. The state news agency said 13 people were injured in violence which erupted on Wednesday night after protests on Tuesday.
Gunmen staged a military-style assault on the US consulate and a safe house refuge in Benghazi, eastern Libya, on Tuesday. US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died in the assault, carried out with guns, mortars and grenades. Eight Libyans were injured.
US President Barack Obama vowed to “bring to justice” those responsible and the US military moved two navy destroyers toward the Libyan coast, in what a US official said was a move to give the administration flexibility for any future action against Libyan targets.
Obama said security was being increased at US diplomatic posts around the globe and yesterday the US consulate in Berlin, Germany, was partially evacuated after an employee fell ill after opening a suspicious envelope.
About 1,000 Islamists tried to march on the US embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, after protests earlier in the week outside US missions in Tunisia, Sudan and Morocco.
The US military dispatched a Marine Corps anti-terrorist team to boost security in Libya, whose former leader Muammar Qaddafi was ousted in a US-backed uprising last year.
The attack, which US officials said may have been planned in advance, came on the 11th anniversary of al-Qaeda’s attacks on the US on Sept. 11, 2001.
The attackers were part of a mob blaming the US for a film they said insulted the Prophet Mohammed. Clips of the Innocence of Muslims had been circulating on the Internet for weeks before the protests erupted.
The clips show an amateurish production portraying the Prophet Mohammed as a womanizer, a homosexual and a child abuser. For many Muslims, any depiction of Mohammed is blasphemous.
Among the assailants, Libyans identified units of a heavily armed local Islamist group, Ansar al-Sharia, which sympathizes with al-Qaeda and derides Libya’s US-backed bid for democracy.
Former militant commander Noman Benotman, now president of Britain’s Quilliam think tank, said Western officials were investigating a possible link with a paramilitary training camp about 160km south of the eastern Libyan town of Darnah.
US officials said there were suggestions members of al-Qaeda’s north Africa-based affiliate may have been involved.
Yemen, a key US ally, is home to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, viewed by Washington as the most dangerous branch of the militant network established by Osama bin Laden.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats