Embattled Australian carrier Qantas said yesterday it would hand out 100,000 free flight tickets in a bid to win back passengers after the shock two-day grounding of its global fleet.
About 70,000 travelers were stranded in 22 cities across the world when Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce grounded the airline on Oct. 29 to force an end to months of strike action by pilots, engineers and ground staff.
The gamble paid off for Joyce, with Canberra stepping in to prevent huge damage to the Australian economy by forcing an end to all industrial action at the airline, but furious passengers have vowed never to fly Qantas again.
The firm’s woes deepened on Friday when an engine problem saw a Qantas A380 diverted to Dubai, in an unwelcome reminder of the engine explosion that temporarily grounded its entire superjumbo fleet exactly one year earlier.
Joyce kicked off a huge public relations offensive yesterday with the A$20 million (US$21 million) offer of a free return flight within Australia or between it and New Zealand for every customer stranded by last weekend’s chaos.
“This ticket offer is one of a range of initiatives we will be launching as a way of saying sorry as we move forward into this period of stability,” he said.
About 100,000 tickets have been scheduled for the giveaway, and the offer is open for two years from Dec. 14, with full-page newspaper advertisements urging passengers to “fly with us, on us.”
Joyce said further announcements would soon be made about compensating overseas-based customers and its 8 million frequent flyers.
Qantas has already promised to refund all “reasonable losses” for passengers affected by the drama, and Qantas spokeswoman Olivia Wirth said the airline would do “everything possible” to win back the public.
“We will be doing everything possible, bending over backwards to make sure they continue to travel with Australia’s national carrier, Qantas,” she told reporters.
The pilots’ union, which claims the airline is losing a “pilot a day” to rivals such as Emirates, said it would have been “a lot cheaper for them to work with their workforce.”
Tony Sheldon, head of the ground staff union, said it was mulling a court challenge to the strike ban this week, pending legal advice.
Irish-born Joyce, 45, worked at rival carrier Ansett when it went to the wall in 2001, costing 17,000 jobs, and he said the experience had scarred him.
“There were suicides, that was horrendous,” he said.
“There’s no guarantee of the right to exist. You have to fight for it and I think that’s what we’re doing,” he told the Sunday Telegraph newspaper.
He has been rounded on by politicians and the public alike, with the media dubbing him the nation’s most loathed man, but Joyce said he was sick of what he described as “racist” slurs about his accent and heritage.
“I don’t think there’s any difference between attacking somebody because of their Irish accent and attacking someone because of their color — they’re all forms of racism,” he said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats