The Ministry of National Defense (MND) yesterday denied reports that Taiwan’s latest bid to purchase new F-16 aircraft was turned down by the US Department of State on Friday.
In an article on Monday, Defense News reported that the State Department had turned down a request by the Taiwan Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in Washington to submit a new official letter of request (LOR) to the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) for the 66 F-16C/Ds, which Taiwan has sought to purchase for years.
The article said the State Department had blocked the request on behalf of the US National Security Council.
A US source independently confirmed to the Taipei Times yesterday that the request was turned down.
This would be the fourth failed attempt to submit an LOR for the F-16s and the first by President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration. The first three bids were made between June 2006 and February 2007 under former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁).
Citing an unnamed US defense source, Defense News described the situation as a catch-22 for Taiwan, in which TECRO was unable to submit an LOR to the AIT because the institute was under orders by the State Department to deny it, while TECRO was told by the State Department that the LOR could not be processed because it had not been received.
However, ministry spokesman David Lo (羅紹和) yesterday denied the claims by Defense News, saying that "no such thing had happened."
This latest development occurs as Taiwan’s allies in Washington are increasing pressure on US President Barack Obama’s administration to release the F-16s to help Taiwan’s air force keep pace with an increasingly modern Chinese air force. US Senator John Cornyn last week threatened to block a full US Senate review for the nomination of William Burns as US deputy state secretary until Washington agreed to receive an LOR on the aircraft and release a long-delayed report to the US Congress on the balance of air power in the Taiwan Strait.
Defense analysts maintain that Cornyn’s move created a window of opportunity for Taiwan to immediately submit a new LOR.
Lockheed, the manufacturer of the F-16, said that unless it receives new orders, the line for the F-16C/Ds is scheduled to close at the end of 2013.
While efforts to acquire the F-16C/Ds remain stalled, a US$4.5 billion program to refurbish Taiwan’s fleet of 146 F-16A/Bs it had acquired in 1992 is expected to commence later this year or next year.
The Aerospace Industrial Development Corp (漢翔航空工業), a government-owned civilian and military aircraft manufacturer, will also deliver a batch of 71 refurbished Indigenous Defence Fighter (IDF) aircraft to the air force tomorrow as part of a US$588 million program to provide IDFs with a longer operational range and greater payload. The first IDFs entered service in 1994.
Some analysts see the IDF upgrades as a potential alternative should Taiwan fail to make headway on the F-16C/Ds. However, analysts are adamant that the technologically refreshed IDFs and F-16A/Bs will not be enough to counter the growing threat posed by the People’s Liberation Army Air Force and that the F-16C/Ds will be needed to replace Taiwan’s F-5 and Mirage 2000 aircraft that are scheduled for retirement within the decade.
Additional reporting by CNA
LAND ALERT UNCERTAIN: The CWB was waiting to observe how In-Fa shifts as it moves north to determine when to issue a land alert, a forecaster at the bureau said Residents of northern Taiwan should brace for heavy rain today and tomorrow as Typhoon In-Fa approaches the northeast, the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) said yesterday. A land alert for the typhoon would be issued depending on the angle at which it moves north today, the bureau said. The bureau on Wednesday issued a sea alert for the typhoon, which applies to ships operating off the nation’s northern, northeastern and southeastern coasts. As of 8:30pm yesterday, In-Fa’s center was 470km southeast of Taipei, moving northwest at 6kph. It was carrying maximum sustained winds of 180kph, and had a radius of 200km. The typhoon was moving
‘BREAKTHROUGH’: All countries should be free to pursue closer ties with Taiwan, a leading democracy, a major economy, and a force for good in the world, the AIT said Taiwan is to establish a “Taiwanese Representative Office in Lithuania,” the first office in Europe to be called Taiwanese, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced yesterday. “It is an important diplomatic breakthrough,” President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) wrote on Facebook, thanking diplomatic personnel for the significant achievement. To expand the nation’s relations with central and eastern Europe, especially with Baltic nations, the government decided to establish the office in Vilnius, Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) told an online news conference. The plan signals progress in Taiwan-Europe relations, as it has been 18 years since the nation last opened an office on the
TARGET RAISED: The CECC said vaccination coverage has reached 24.35%, while Premier Su Tseng-chang said the government hopes for 30% by the end of July The government has signed a contract to buy an additional 36 million doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, 1 million of which are to be delivered in the fourth quarter, the Executive Yuan announced yesterday, as it updated its vaccination target to 30 percent coverage by the end of the month. The two-year deal with the US company covers “prime series” vaccines and future booster shots to protect against SARS-CoV-2 variants, Executive Yuan spokesman Lo Ping-cheng (羅秉成) quoted Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) as saying during an Executive Yuan meeting in Taipei. In the two weeks since vaccine registration opened, more than 9.8
STAY VIGILANT: Although a level 2 alert would raise the limit on indoor gatherings to 50, people should still wear masks and practice social distancing, the center said A nationwide COVID-19 alert is to be lowered from level 3 to 2 on Tuesday, but strict border controls would remain, the government said yesterday. The level 3 alert in place since May 19 is to end on Monday, with a level 2 alert in place from Tuesday until Aug. 9, the Executive Yuan said. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC), told a news conference in Taipei that over the next two weeks, people should still wear masks at all times outdoors, except while eating or drinking, and practice social distancing. The maximum