Saudi Shiites staged protests in two towns in Saudi Arabia’s oil-producing Eastern Province on Thursday, demanding the release of prisoners they say are being held without trial.
Demonstrations of about 100 people were seen in the small Gulf coast town of Awwamiya, as well as in the nearby Shiite center of Qatif, demanding the release of those the protesters say were arrested for security reasons and who have been held, in some cases, for more than a decade.
“We want the prisoners free, but we also have other demands,” said Radi al-Suwaileh, who was in the Qatif march. “We want equality.”
They are calling for better access to jobs and to be treated as equals in the ultraconservative kingdom dominated by a rigid form of Sunni Islam, Wahhabism. Shiites say that, while their situation has improved under reforms launched by Saudi King Abdullah, but they still face restrictions in getting senior government jobs.
The government of Saudi Arabia, an absolute monarchy without an elected parliament that usually does not tolerate public dissent, denies these charges.
“We want jobs. I graduated from a US university, but did not get a job for 10 months,” said one young man who gave his name as Muhammad.
Saudi Arabia’s Shiite minority mostly lives in the east, which holds much of the oil wealth of the world’s top crude exporter and is near Bahrain, scene of recent protests by majority Shiites against their Sunni rulers.
More than 2 million Shiiites are thought to live in the area and in recent years they have increasingly practiced their own religious rites thanks to the King’s reforms.
One woman clad in black, who called herself Umm Turki, said she wanted her husband, in prison for 13 years, back.
One held a placard saying: “We do not plan to overthrow the system.”
In Qatif, a 10 minute drive away, riot police wearing helmets arrived in two troop transport vehicles, blocking protesters from moving further along on a main thoroughfare.
Some wielded signs saying: “The reform movement wants reforms,” “God is great” and “We want our prisoners free.”
Last month, Saudi authorities released three prisoners after a previous protest by Shiites in Awwamiya.
Last week, King Abdullah returned to Riyadh after a three-month medical absence and unveiled US$37 billion in benefits to help lower and middle-income people among the 18 million Saudi nationals. The benefits included pay rises to offset inflation, unemployment benefits and affordable family housing.
The demonstrations in and near Qatif were much smaller than protests staged in 2009 after police launched a search for firebrand Shiite preacher Nimr al-Nimr, who had suggested in a sermon that Shiites could one day seek a separate state.
The secessionist threat, which analysts say was unprecedented since the 1979 Iranian Revolution, provoked anti-government protests, and was followed by clashes between the Sunni religious police and Shiite pilgrims near the tomb of Prophet Mohammad in the holy city of Medina.
Since then, Shiites say the situation has calmed down, but they are still waiting for promised reforms to be carried out.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats