The Executive Yuan’s Referendum Review Committee yesterday again turned down a referendum proposal by Taiwan Solidarity Union Chairman Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on the Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) signed between Taiwan and China in June last year.
In his third bid, Huang had submitted a referendum proposal asking the question: “Do you agree with the government’s signing the Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement with China?”
The ECFA, which came into force in September and whose “early harvest” list of items receiving preferential tariff treatment came into effect on Saturday, has been touted as a means to further liberalize cross-strait trade.
However, critics claim it is a trap by Beijing to lure Taiwan into an eventual political merger with China.
Similar proposals were rejected by the Referendum Review Committee on June 3 and Aug. 11 last year on the grounds that the question did not fall under what was permitted in the Referendum Act (公民投票法).
Despite the two previous rejections, Huang submitted the same proposal again last month.
“Supporters and opponents of the referendum proposal debated on whether this proposal was the same as the previous one,” Central Election Commission secretary-general Teng Tien-yu (鄧天祐), who doubles as executive secretary of the Referendum Review Committee, said of the two-hour meeting.
“In the end, they put it to a vote and the proposal was turned down by a 10-to-four vote,” Teng said.
According to the Referendum Act, a referendum proposal cannot be made again within three years after it is rejected.
“The rejection shows that the government under the leadership of President Ma Ying-jeou [馬英九] is against the values of democracy and the will of the people,” Huang said in a statement last night.
“The proposals were endorsed by more than 300,000 citizens and yet the government denies these people the right to speak,” Huang said.
“The government will eventually pay for it,” he added.
“The ECFA will have a huge impact on Taiwan’s economy, politics and society. Government officials — including Ma himself — have always emphasized the importance of the pact,” Huang said. “And yet, the government excludes all forms of public participation in the decision-making. This just isn’t normal [in democratic systems].”
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Tuesday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
KINMEN: Coast guards on both sides of the Taiwan Strait should prohibit the entry of illegal vessels into ‘restricted’ waters to uphold maritime safety, Chen Chien-jen said Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) yesterday called for both sides of the Taiwan Strait to approach the security of Kinmen and Xiamen waters with rationality and equitability, following a boat chase that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week. Chen was responding to media inquiries ahead of a legislative session amid rising cross-strait tensions following the capsizing of a Chinese speedboat off the east coast of Kinmen on Wednesday last week during a pursuit by the Taiwanese coast guard. The Ministry of National Defense established the boundaries of “prohibited” and “restricted” waters around Kinmen in 1992 to better protect