Iran plans to put on trial about 20 people accused of rioting in the aftermath of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election as the embattled president came under fire again yesterday from hardliners over a series of controversial political decisions.
The official IRNA news agency reported that the 20 “rioters” would go on trial from Saturday on charges including bombings, carrying firearms and grenades, attacking Basij militiamen and security forces and maintaining contacts with the exiled opposition group the People's Mujahedeen.
“They are also charged with attacking military units and universities, sending pictures to enemy media, organizing thugs and rioters, vandalizing public and state property including destroying banks and houses,” it said.
However, Iranian prosecutor Ghorban Ali Dorri Najafabadi also announced that a “considerable” number of protesters would be freed by the end of the Iranian week on Friday.
The news comes a day after authorities freed 140 protesters, while about 200 remain behind bars, including 50 suspected of masterminding riots, said a lawmaker who visited detainees on Tuesday.
The moves are being seen as gestures to the opposition movement which has branded Ahmadinejad's re-election a fraud and protested over the subsequent crackdown on demonstrators and political activists.
However, the authorities continue to ban opposition gatherings and have refused to issue a permit for a planned mourning ceremony in Tehran today.
Amid the mounting political tensions, Ahmadinejad came under fire from his own hardline supporters, who warned him to obey Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's order this week to close a jail holding detainees as it was “not up to required standards.”
The president's standing has been weakened even within his own camp, forcing him into a humiliating climbdown over a political appointment that was blocked by Khamenei.
“One should not hesitate in implementing the leader's order,” hardline cleric and vocal Ahmadinejad critic Ahmad Khatami was quoted as saying by the Resalat newspaper.
“Mr Ahmadinejad must apologize to people,” said the front-page headline of Yalesarat, a hardline weekly newspaper.
Another harsh warning came from prominent conservative group the Islamic Society of Engineers.
“The people's continued support for you depends on your unconditional obedience of the supreme leader and departing from this path will have consequences,” it said in a letter to Ahmadinejad published on Tuesday.
In another slap in the face for Ahmadinejad, 210 of the country's 290 lawmakers signed a statement on Tuesday praising Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejei — the intelligence chief sacked by Ahmadinejad — saying he had passed a “great test” in defending Khamenei.
Iran's top dissident cleric Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri also lashed out at the country's regime over the deaths in custody of election protesters.
“Those who are behind bars are being forced to confess under torture and every day a body is being delivered to their family,” Montazeri said in a letter posted on his Web site.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats