North Korea yesterday restored military communications lines with the South and reopened the border crossing to a joint industrial complex as tensions remained high ahead of an expected rocket launch.
The unification ministry in Seoul, which handles relations with Pyongyang, said hundreds of South Koreans were able to travel to and from the Seoul-funded Kaesong industrial estate nearly two weeks after the border was first shut.
“Border crossings resumed this morning. People are crossing the border into Kaesong,” a Unification Ministry spokesman said.
Pyongyang had cut the phone lines and sealed the border in protest at a joint US-South Korea military exercise, which it qualified as a prelude to war. The war games, which began on March 9, ended on Friday.
The phone lines are used to authorize crossings to and from Kaesong, just north of the border, which opened in 2005 as a symbol of reconciliation on the peninsula, where the North and South are still technically at war.
But operations there have been hampered on several occasions because of political tensions and analysts said the reopening of the border did not represent any significant easing in tensions.
Also yesterday, Pyongyang informed an international aviation network that it plans to close two air routes through its territory during a planned rocket launch next month, South Korea said.
The North says the rocket will send a satellite into space, but many regional powers are concerned it is a cover for a test of missile technology. The North is barred by a UN resolution from all ballistic activity.
The isolated regime told the Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunication Network it would close two routes through its airspace from April 4 to April 8 — the period it has set for the launch, South Korea’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority said. The international network links more than 190 countries to ensure the safety of civil aviation.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary