President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday attended an exhibition commemorating a 228 Incident victim, promising to work toward uncovering the truth behind the killings and provide compensation to survivors and the families of those murdered.
Ma lauded Chien Chi (簡吉), who fought against the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government during the 228 Incident in 1947 for his love and dedication to Taiwan.
Chien was sentenced to death in 1950 during the White Terror.
The exhibition on Chien’s life reflected the history of the 228 Incident and the White Terror, Ma said, and the government should acknowledge past wrongs and educate youth people and future generations through such exhibits.
Ma said he attended a memorial service for 228 and White Terror victims four years ago as KMT chairman and had bowed three times in apology for the KMT government’s mistakes.
“I apologized to the victims and their families because there were many injustices,” he said at the National Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall exhibit.
Ma, who has worked toward reconciliation between his party and 228 victims since serving as Taipei mayor, on Sunday promised to continue funding the 228 Memorial Foundation with an annual budget of NT$300 million (US$9.2 million) and draft regulations for the establishment of a national 228 memorial park.
While meeting members of the Taiwan 228 Association, Ma acknowledged that dictator Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) had been responsible as the country’s leader for the bloody crackdown on civilians, but added that a political figure’s merits should not be judged by a single event.
“Of course [Chiang] was responsible ... He was the national leader, and he should bear responsibility for what happened. I’ve never denied that,” he said.
Ma is scheduled to attend a series of events this week in commemoration of the 228 Incident, including the opening of an exhibit at Taipei 228 Memorial Park and a forum held by the Academia Sinica today, as well as a 228 Memorial Foundation ceremony in Kaohsiung on Saturday.
In response to Ma’s comments, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬) asked why Ma had reopened Chiang’s mausoleum at Tzuhu (慈湖), restored the honor guard and proposed changing the name of National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall back to Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall if he believed Chiang was responsible for the 228 Incident.
KMT caucus secretary-general Yang Chiung-ying (楊瓊瓔) praised Ma for acknowledging Chiang’s responsibility.
“The government back then should surely be considered responsible. That’s why we enacted the Act for Handling of and Compensation for the 228 Incident [二二八事件處理及補償條例]” in 1995, Yang said.
KMT Legislator Lo Shu-lei (羅淑蕾) said the facts of the incident should be released so future generations can pass their own judgment on Chiang.
“There is nothing to hide. History is all about facts,” Lo said.
KMT Legislator Shuai Hua-ming (帥化民) said Ma had failed to make clear whether he thought Chiang was merely “generally” responsible for the incident or was a murderer of Taiwanese.
“Back then, Chiang considered Taiwan a base for him [to retake China]. It would have been impossible for him to massacre [people] at such a base,” Shuai said.
If Chiang is to be considered responsible for any negative events, Shuai said, it could be for allowing his subordinates to impose excessively strict measures on the populace during the White Terror.
Additional reporting by Flora Wang and Rich Chang
MAKING A MOVE: Starting on Monday, short-term business travelers can apply for shorter quarantine periods, while transits of up to eight hours would be allowed The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced an easing of restrictions that would from Monday next week allow foreigners to visit or make a transit flight in Taiwan. A policy allowing short-term business travelers from countries with low or medium risks of COVID-19 infections to apply for shorter quarantine periods is also to resume that day. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to be extended after the end of this month, special conditions for foreign nationals to enter Taiwan would be restored from Monday. Foreign nationals
CONTINUED VIGILANCE: People would still be required to wear masks at eight types of public spaces and border controls would continue, Chen Shih-chung told reporters The government’s autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to continue beyond Sunday, but eating and drinking on high-speed trains would be allowed from Monday, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while there were no new confirmed cases in Taiwan yesterday, the global COVID-19 situation remains serious, so the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program would be extended beyond its Sunday deadline. “Border control measures, including requiring a negative polymerase chain reaction test result obtained within three days of boarding a plane to Taiwan, and undergoing quarantine in a
‘UNFRIENDLY’: COA Minister Chen Chi-chung said that Beijing probably imposed the sanction because the pineapple production season is about to start in Taiwan More than 99 percent of pineapples sold to China passed inspections, the government said yesterday, after China earlier in the day abruptly suspended imports of pineapples from the nation, which Taipei called an “unfriendly” move. From Monday, China is to stop importing pineapples from Taiwan, the Chinese General Administration of Customs said. The regulation is a normal measure for ensuring biosafety, China’s Taiwan Affairs Office spokesman Ma Xiaoguang (馬曉光) said in a news release later yesterday. Since last year, Chinese customs officials have repeatedly seized pineapples imported from Taiwan that carried “perilous organisms,” Ma said. Were the organisms to spread in China, they would
MORE RISK? Three Taiwanese family members were found to have the Brazilian variant, which CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo said might be more infectious From Wednesday, all travelers who have been in Brazil in the past 14 days are required to be quarantined at a centralized facility after arriving in Taiwan and undergo a COVID-19 test upon ending quarantine, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that starting from 12am on Wednesday, all travelers arriving from Brazil, including those who have transited through the country in the past 14 days, would have to stay at a centralized quarantine facility. “They will be tested for COVID-19 upon completing the 14-day quarantine, and they