Rebel troops were poised outside the Congolese city of Goma yesterday as the EU mulled sending troops to the strife-torn region to prevent a humanitarian disaster.
Tutsi rebel leader Laurent Nkunda, whose forces are threatening to grab the strategic eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) city, offered on Thursday to open humanitarian corridors for tens of thousands of civilians displaced by combat.
Only 850 UN peacekeepers stand between Goma and Nkunda’s forces, who have said they will not shirk a fight for the city if necessary, after government troops fled as the rebels closed in on the city on Wednesday.
Nkunda, who has declared a unilateral ceasefire, vowed in a letter to the UN mission in Kinshasa to allow “humanitarian organizations access to those in need who are behind our lines.”
UN forces commander Colonel Samba Tall said the ceasefire called by Nkunda on Wednesday was holding, and said his MONUC force was respecting its mandate, under which it could engage the rebels if necessary to protect civilians.
But Nkunda warned UN forces blocking the way to Goma that they would open fire if the UN tried to halt their advance.
“We cannot engage them, but if they shoot at us, they are soldiers; we will have to defend ourselves,” he said.
In Brussels, EU diplomats were scheduled to discuss yesterday whether to deploy troops to the region after aid agencies warned of a humanitarian catastrophe.
France has suggested the deployment of up to 1,500 soldiers who would provide technical and humanitarian support to the UN force.
Britain voiced caution, however.
The UK’s Africa minister Mark Malloch-Brown said he had spoken to the UN’s special representative on the crisis, Alan Doss, who had “renewed his request for troops.”
“I told him we first had to see how the political situation was going to shape up and whether or not this ceasefire would hold. Our first priority is a political process backed by adequate humanitarian process,” he said.
Nkunda said the European force would be useless but that he would not oppose it as long as its mission was to “support peace.”
In Goma, where shops, schools and offices were closed, witnesses said out-of-control remnants of the Congolese army, many of them drunk, had committed murder.
A reporter was shown the bodies of seven civilians, including two women. All were killed overnight by Congolese soldiers on a looting binge, landlord Joseph Ndakola said.
“Soldiers burst in here in the evening and stayed until four o’clock in the morning,” he said. “They looted all my tenants’ belongings, making them carry their things to their vehicles, and then they came back in to murder them.”
There were also reports from local residents that two women had been raped overnight on the outskirts of Goma in an area called Mosho.
Nkunda’s forces and the army resumed fighting in August, breaking a ceasefire agreement signed in Goma in January.
The Tutsi rebels say they are defending the inhabitants of Nord-Kivu Province against atrocities committed by Congolese forces and an allied Rwandan Hutu rebel group — the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda.
Aid agencies said at least 30,000 internal refugees were trapped between the rebels and UN forces blocking their access to Goma.
Around 8,000 people have crossed into Uganda, while about 1,200 people have entered Rwanda.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats