African envoys sought support on Wednesday from Russia and China for ways to let Sudan’s president dodge a global court’s Darfur war crimes charges.
“The search for justice should not jeopardize the other priorities in Sudan,” South African Ambassador Dumisani Kumalo said.
The UN Security Council’s private discussions took place against a backdrop of fresh violence.
Gunmen in the troubled Sudanese region of Darfur shot and killed another UN-African Union (AU) peacekeeper on Wednesday, just as the council voted to condemn the killing of seven Darfur peacekeepers a week ago as a possible war crime.
Sudan, South Africa and China expressed concern that indicting Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir could further damage the peace process, diplomats said.
Some Western diplomats and UN officials also say they fear an arrest warrant against al-Bashir could unleash reprisals against the peacekeeping mission in Darfur, known as UNAMID.
But to many, that peace process already is withering, and the mission has virtually no peace to keep.
“The peace process has been stalled for the last few months,” British Ambassador John Sawers said. “There’s an urgent need for renewed effort on the peace process side. And UNAMID can only ever deliver on its mission properly once there is a peace to keep.”
International Criminal Court prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo filed 10 charges on Monday against al-Bashir related to a campaign of extermination the UN says has claimed 300,000 lives and driven 2.5 million people from their homes.
Moreno-Ocampo, based at The Hague, Netherlands, said survivors are preyed upon by government-backed janjaweed Arab militia and regular troops. It could take judges months to rule on whether to issue an arrest warrant.
The Sudanese ambassador said some African diplomats were discussing with China and Russia ways of persuading the 15-nation Security Council to block Moreno-Ocampo’s work for a year. Neither China’s nor Russia’s diplomats commented publicly on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, more than 1,000 protesters gathered outside the republican palace in Khartoum yesterday, shouting death to the world court prosecutor for seeking al-Bashir’s arrest.
Shouting “God is Great” and “Go Forward Bashir” students and Arab tribesmen from western Sudan’s war-torn region of Darfur angrily condemned allegations that the head of state was guilty of genocide and war crimes.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats