Police went on full alert yesterday after Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo proceeded with a European trip despite a failed attempt by a group of soldiers and civilian backers to trigger a "people power" revolt against her.
National police Director General Avelino Razon said forces were on guard for other possible threats by renegade soldiers after elite government forces quelled an attempt by rebel military officers to force Arroyo's ouster on Thursday.
Military troops have been on alert in the bustling capital since the rebel soldiers took over Manila's five-star Peninsula Hotel and called for a public revolt.
The uprising was led by Senator Antonio Trillanes, a former navy officer who was elected to the Senate in May, and US-trained army Brigadier General Danilo Lim, backed by dozens of armed soldiers and civilian sympathizers who included former vice president Teofisto Guingona and two Catholic bishops.
They were arrested and charged with rebellion after the uprising was crushed.
Arroyo survived three previous coup attempts and three opposition impeachment bids over alleged corruption and human rights abuses during her seven tumultuous years in power.
Razon said police were still hunting at least four young officers involved in the takeover of the Peninsula, a popular meeting place of the rich and famous in Manila's Makati financial district.
Arroyo's government has put up a 1 million peso (US$23,255) reward for the capture of one of the four officers, marine Captain Nicanor Faeldon, who has been implicated in past attempts by renegade officers to topple her from power.
Arroyo left late on Saturday for Europe, where she will make a state visit to Spain. She will also travel to France and Britain.
"It is with complete confidence that I will travel to Europe to advance our national interests in meeting with the business and government leaders in Spain and England," she said in a prepared statement, adding the country is calm and secure and the rule of law has prevailed.
On Thursday, 14 soldiers led by Trillanes and Lim walked out of their court trial on earlier rebellion charges, marched more than a kilometer through Makati's traffic-choked streets and barged into the Peninsula, surprising business executives and foreign guests who were having lunch.
Lim read a statement calling for the removal of Arroyo over a string of corruption scandals that have plagued her government. He also sought public support for the uprising. But pro-Arroyo forces rapidly cordoned off the Peninsula with tanks and trucks and the rebels surrendered.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats